bill black

199A parts

Hello all , 

A couple of questions for the gurus , I have a 199A  that I am rebuilding , I was hoping for some help with parts that I need , and itit was a box of bits kind of purchase I am missing the two handlebar clamps any chance someone has a source for these ? Also my tank is a Sammy Miller aftermarket one and the cap Is missing it's an odd one its kind of like an old radiator cap it has  half twist to lock action with ears catching the spout in the tank here's s pic 

Regards

Bill

IMG_20181227_192423.jpg

IMG_20181227_193233.jpg

Bill - 

(I am assuming that this tank is fi-glass)  By my (somewhat shaky) memory,  I think the Miller tanks used a "Ceandess" bayonet fit cap, of this type :-

www.feked.com/2-vented-petrol-or-oil-tank-filler-cap-chrome-plated.html

Not sure of the size, you must measure.  Feked.com took over the Sammy Miller Products brand a while ago.

Hope this helps - good luck with the rebuild .....

Edited by lorenzo
Add. link

Brilliant Lorenzo 🙂 thanks I'll measure mine and see if that's a match , I am wondering if the grade of fibreglass resin used will survive ethanol in the petrol in this tank ..... ? Has anyone any thoughts ? 

Hi Bill, I have sealed several fibreglass tanks with success using Slosh from Draganfly Motorcycles. It is a job best done in the summer when you can be sure the inside of the tank is bone dry. I use caustic soda to clean out any muck and residue of oil that may be left. I do this several times then be sure to rinse out with lots of hot water each time. Be extra careful, it is nasty stuff. Keep any youngsters and animals well away !  Done slowly and carefully sealing your tank will be fine. Hope this helps.......

Thanks johnjsy,

I'd like to try reuse the tank as it's in good nick , for the minute I might fill and drain it as and when I need to use it .... Then sort it in the summer , I'm not too far from firing it up soon so I'll post more pics when it's progressed more

Regards

Bill

If you buy the petrol ethanol free petrol your problem goes away plus the fuel doesnt go off after 5 minutes exposure to the atmosphere. Aspen is the stuff.👍

What colour did you use on the frame? It looks different to the tank.

It's a few shades paler than it should be alright but I'm building it to use so not an issue for me , it was what the powder coater had at the time ..... Any day now it should hopefully fire up for the first time in 15 + years, I'm still trying to source a pair of handlebar clamps if anyone can help thanks

• Like 1

sherpa199a_ss.jpg.d70bbc6b5a359ce61909c5e30628441f.jpgYou have inspired me to bring my 199a back to life as well!!!  More photos to come, as it gets pretty!

Plenty of things to get on with in that project , at least they're super simple bikes and all the major parts are handy to get , it's nice to bring another one back from the dead I have a lot of projects in my shed the oldest at the minute being a 1965 Bridgestone . Good luck with the work Robbie .......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bill black said:

Ahh rats so much for the "saved" piston it cracked as I was putting the gudgeon pin in  😯

IMG_20190210_123348.jpg

Better that it cracked now rather than later on when you run the engine.

That kind of damage usually indicates....apart from external forces....con-rod misalignment😳

Edited by section swept

No it was my own stupid fault I was holding it in my hand as I was tapping the gudgeon pin in with a small hide faced hammer and it had gone slightly skew ways it had snagged the circlip groove and next thing I looked and saw the crack 😔 at least I have a spare engine to get some bits from .....