2 stroke oil facts & myths

b40rt

Fully synthetic is fine for modern motors, not for our 50 year old ones. I think I have tried most, but have settled on Lucas semi sync. At around 32 to 1, that is 187 cc to 6 litres of fuel.  I may be right, or wrong, but my motors run just fine at that. "

This statement was posted in another forum, I asked for some evidence, or even a hair brained explanation, nothing !!

I'm not sure the o p actually rides at all, who mixes up 6 litres of 2 stroke ?  Is that overfilling a 5L can, or part filling a 10L can  ?  

Anybody care to comment ?

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, b40rt said:

£6 or £7 for a 5L.  £40 for a 6L, makes perfect sense !

Whats price got to do with? They are made by numerous manufacturers and are a far superior can. You obviously have never used one seeing that you didn't even know they existed. They are rather common with the gardening and landscaping fraternity. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Edited by faussy

1 hour ago, faussy said:

Whats price got to do with? They are made by numerous manufacturers and are a far superior can. You obviously have never used one seeing that you didn't even know they existed. They are rather common with the gardening and landscaping fraternity. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Have you anything relevant to the topic to add ?  ( I think your last line should read "just because it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Silkolene recommended I use semisynthetic in air cooled 70's motor when I asked their advice.  Various ratios suggested according to terrain/use but 50:1 for what we do.  Works fine with no sign of excessive smoke.

Why only semisynthetic ?

2 hours ago, b40rt said:

Why only semisynthetic ?

FWIW i was told by the Motul rep ages ago that full synthetic in a trials bike doesnt burn away in the silencer because the motor doesnt get hot enough like a moto crosser or race bike so they recommended semi synthetic. Actually they recommended their "scooter oil". I've used semi synthetic ever since with no problem but i am sure many will disagree. Always a horny subject this with so many different "recommendations". As long as the user is happy then thats as good a result as you can hope for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, stpauls said:

Anyone confirm this?

Plastic tanks definitely are semi porous, so I can see there being some validity to this. Ambient conditions will obviously be a factor.

Edited by b40rt

20 minutes ago, old trials fanatic said:

FWIW i was told by the Motul rep ages ago that full synthetic in a trials bike doesnt burn away in the silencer because the motor doesnt get hot enough like a moto crosser or race bike so they recommended semi synthetic. Actually they recommended their "scooter oil". I've used semi synthetic ever since with no problem but i am sure many will disagree. Always a horny subject this with so many different "recommendations". As long as the user is happy then thats as good a result as you can hope for. 

Thanks otf, so depending where you compete will make a difference, 4 times round a field, or more traditional trials with long climbs that get some heat into the engine. 

• Like 1