Beta 80 flywheel weight

Lil' Willie's dad.

32 minutes ago, Lil' Willie's dad. said:

Hi all, I've posted this on the Beta80 section but feel it needs a wider audience.

Does anybody know someone that can add some weight to our flywheel? 

I've heard if has been done and it's a great mod. Just need an Engineer.

Pm me if preferred.

Regards Paul

Do you have a technical drawing of the fly wheel weight you need making showing its diameter and thickness and position and depth of mounting holes or recessed areas etc  ...do you know what the weight of the finished fly wheel needs to be.

Edited by oni nou

Clearance inside the flywheel cover needs to be taken into account for the circumference and the outer face of the flywheel. Potentially lead could be added to scolloped areas machined into the outer face, securing needs to be addressed. You may be able to have a thin outer band either shrunk on and welded or screwed into place. This route might add an extra 2 pounds which would give the engine more momentum but no real increase in torque. Some works riders use different flywheels of differing weight for different types of terrain. A search on Google will come up with some useful info. An alternative might be to adjust the gearing to a more suitable ratio??

I don't know what clearances your bike has between the existing flywheel and the flywheel/magneto/stator cover, but with the help of my brother we machined a band of metal rather than a disc for use in my son's TXT80. We heated the band and cooled the existing flywheel for installation, and when the metals returned to their normal temps they were held together tight.For metal we purchased some brass pipe whose ID was slightly smaller than the OD of the existing flywheel, then we machined the ID, the OD and the width.

We used a blob of modeling clay (Plasticine, Playdoh, etc.) stuck to the flywheel to determine what clearances we had to work with; stick the clay to the flywheel, temporarily refit the cover, spin the engine to move the flywheel/clay through a rotation, and then remove the cover. Voila, the thickness of the clay will match the maximum thickness of your flywheel weight.

Note, mounting a band of metal on the outer diameter of the existing flywheel will be significantly more effective then mounting a disk on the plane of the flywheel.As a result the weight can be less than what would normally be considered in much an application.

Good luck.

FYI, the FWW didn't do much for the TXT80; it did help with the inertia and made the bike easier to ride, but it did slow down the engine response. In the end I concluded that the little 80cc just wasn't going to deliver the performance my son needed, and so I got him a TXT280! He's happy now. :)