Numberplate options

boner

The legal requirements for a motorcycle number plate are laid down by the transport ministry  It must conform to the British Standard for number plates.  No other format is acceptable either for road use or for the MOT test.  It must be clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle.

To comply with this law in order both to get an MOT certificate and to operate the bike on the road the only option I can see is to fit a BS approved plate under the rear mudguard with a bracket bolted to the mudguard.  To MOT my bike I bought a cheap (fiver) bracket off eBay and drilled two holes in the mudguard and bolted up a number plate.  The bike passed the MOT.  After which I removed the idiotic contraption from the bike as it would have broken off in seconds if you were daft enough to ride it like that.

If you want to ride on the road you must guess what the reaction of the police will be to your illegal bike.  personally I think that the legal numberplate could easily go on your back in something like a camelback so when on the bike the number is clearly visible.  This is illegal but at least the numberplate is legal.

A micro small numberplate or an upward facing one is illegal.  In addition to breaking the numberplate law you have a non visible plate.  At least a legal plate that is not actually on the bike is "legal".

You can test out my theory with your local coppers easily enough.  Or buy an illegal plate and test out whether your local coppers can be bothered to fine you for it.  I guess the results will vary between whether you are having a nice ride on a green lane or at a trials event with a lot of other riders (so a whole lot of paperwork for Mr Plod and his mate to do - naaaah  too much hassle for most of them).

Which was a long winded response to your question to which the real answer is "there aren't any".

• Haha 1

I use a printed number plate sandwiched between 2 pieces of clear vinyl material. It's visible and flexible enough that it doesn't get damaged. Yes, its technically illegal but its the best i could come up with. I also use very little road and always ensure i ride sensibly. From that they can tell i'm taxed and insured and i hope common sense will prevail. I'm yet to test it though.

20190127_142211.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

I use a printed number plate sandwiched between 2 pieces of clear vinyl material. It's visible and flexible enough that it doesn't get damaged. Yes, its technically illegal but its the best i could come up with. I also use very little road and always ensure i ride sensibly. From that they can tell i'm taxed and insured and i hope common sense will prevail. I'm yet to test it though.

That's a rather good idea.  You could run a couple off the office printer and laminate them so if one gets torn off you have a spare.  Like you I think if one shows willing then you can hope that common sense is the outcome.  Ride sensibly and slowly, be polite to other people especially horse riders and pray that the coppers are not anti-bike.  In some places pit bikes and stolen crossers are such an issue that any kind of off road bike is a "fair" target.

Don't forget that to be road legal you need a speedo.  If you get PC Misery Guts that will be on the list too.

This is the one I bought (there are several sellers)  You need to bend the bracket to fit the mudguard.  The hinge has a thread in it so you tighten up the bracket to get the angle right.  I doubt it would stay put if you rode it - I just fitted it for the MOT then took it off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Number-Plate-Rear-Light-Holder-Adjustable-Bracket-Metal-Motorbike/232778157571?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55149%26meid%3D7ccd702227644ad7a453d79f068ae456%26pid%3D101006%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D232778157571and_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226

Number plate brackets on link from BVM. Just bin the yellow plastic and buy a flexi plate from flexiplates with your reg number,   Job done.  All bikes in the SSDT need to have this type of plate or you don't start. Simples.  https://bvm-moto.co.uk/Trials Parts Clothing and Accessories /Number Boards

https://flexiplates.co.uk/

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

I've had a small plate with bracket attached to the rear guard. This eventually self-destructed.

I then had another one that was basically handwritten on a small piece of yellow plasticard. This has now got a chunk out of it.

I have a totally road legal plate that I actually attached when I last got the bike MOT'd - I had to stop every few minutes and untangle it from the rear tyre when riding to the MOT station!

I think I'll try the back pack idea. I have a pack that I always use when I ride to the trials centre (about 2-3 miles on road), and this will also save me the faff of unbolting and rebolting the thing off and on before and after sessions. ?