Trail Riding on a Scorpa Sy250.. :)

farmerboy

I recently bought a road legal SY250 and love it!  I had just embarked on a bit of green laning/trail riding and had come across some really tricky bits, I guess they would be classed as "technical" and needless to say, my Suzuki DRZ 400 and I ended up in a series of crumpled heaps all over Wales and the Lake District.....  :(   

The Scorpa is half the weight of the DRZ and rides like a mountain goat in comparison...such fun and made the most difficult (for me) bits look like child's play!  What a wonderful design a trials bike is.  Even on the road it was perfectly well mannered and top gear seems to be very tall so cruising at 45mph was quite pleasant (ish!).  Fuel consumption is a bit of an issue  - I clocked it at 7 miles per litre which is about 32 mpg so my 2.5 litre fuel tank did not get me very far.  I bought an auxiliary tank which gave me an extra 2 litres... (and carried 3 L in my rucksack...!!)  Not ideal but workable!  I rode past "Hawks Nest" in Derbyshire which seems to be a popular trials practice area - I have resolved to try my hand at some "beginners" trials sections asap.

A few extra psi in the tyres helped road handling and I had a great day out.  

Wonderful little bikes..wish I had started this 50 years ago!  

image.png.3f9011dd1cb042d56594ec726bacde24.pngimage.png.98fe06d880afa001ca4d4424443586c0.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, farmerboy said:

I recently bought a road legal SY250 and love it!  I had just embarked on a bit of green laning/trail riding and had come across some really tricky bits, I guess they would be classed as "technical" and needless to say, my Suzuki DRZ 400 and I ended up in a series of crumpled heaps all over Wales and the Lake District.....  :(   

The Scorpa is half the weight of the DRZ and rides like a mountain goat in comparison...such fun and made the most difficult (for me) bits look like child's play!  What a wonderful design a trials bike is.  Even on the road it was perfectly well mannered and top gear seems to be very tall so cruising at 45mph was quite pleasant (ish!).  Fuel consumption is a bit of an issue  - I clocked it at 7 miles per litre which is about 32 mpg so my 2.5 litre fuel tank did not get me very far.  I bought an auxiliary tank which gave me an extra 2 litres... (and carried 3 L in my rucksack...!!)  Not ideal but workable!  I rode past "Hawks Nest" in Derbyshire which seems to be a popular trials practice area - I have resolved to try my hand at some "beginners" trials sections asap.

A few extra psi in the tyres helped road handling and I had a great day out.  

Wonderful little bikes..wish I had started this 50 years ago!  

image.png.3f9011dd1cb042d56594ec726bacde24.pngimage.png.98fe06d880afa001ca4d4424443586c0.png

Most trials bikes are going to be more handy in tight muddy conditions than a trail orientated bike. You look set to go anywhere, nice bike. Fuzz may not be too excited about rear number plate, looks legal size but angles bit high. The thing you will notice blatting about on the road is that the chain tensioner and guide may wear more rapidly. ??