Premix Oil

Ryder40BC

Bike is a 2018  TXT 300 pro and I ride closer to sea level 90% of the time.

I'm on my fourth tank of fuel and used up most of some leftover Motul 710 2t mixed at the manual recommended 67:1. Seemed to run great without excessive smoke other than a bit a pig to start compared to any other bike I've owned(plan to try a few recommended tactics) Considering trying Motorex Cross power 2T or Maxima K2 next which are readily available in the area. Motul 800 would likely be overkill and has a much higher flashpoint. Not sure about stretching Motul 710 to 80:1 which sounds lean on oil.

Looking for a couple recommendations on tried and trusted oils and if most guys leave the pilot jetting and needle clip alone on this year/displacement of bike.

There seem to be a lot of guys running 80:1 but don't often post which oil they're running at that ratio without issues.

Thanks in advance,

Not a sheep... The reason for "considering" going leaner is almost every guy in our area does and every dealer I talked to recommended 80:1. For now I intend to stick with what the manual recommends as it's burning clean when warmed up with no fouling. 

I appreciate the replies so thanks to all that contributed!

Now if changing the float level or mixture screw might help this 300 start a little easier I'd be laughing. My old Yammy YZ 490 had better manners when it came to firing up when cold or hot...Have to give my technique a little work and go from there.

16 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

I run my Gasgas on 50:1 never had a problem with smoke or fouling, 10 years use and it’s never had a rebuild

why would you want to put less oil in?

May want to follow manufacturers recommendation.

Premix ratio – 100:1 (absolutely no richer than 80:1)

From TRS https://www.trsmotosusa.com/documents/KEIHIN_SPECIFICATIONS_TRS_One_RR.pdf

10 hours ago, Ryder40BC said:

Not a sheep... The reason for "considering" going leaner is almost every guy in our area does and every dealer I talked to recommended 80:1. For now I intend to stick with what the manual recommends as it's burning clean when warmed up with no fouling. 

Did they give you legitimate reasons for runner those ratios? Most don't! 

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

I have been running Motul 710 2t for over 10 years at 80:1 in my current 09 Evo 290. Always starts first or second kick and never any smoke and have never fouled a plug. I also ran it in 2 previous Rev. 270's with no issues. I do run half pump premium and either VP 110 or C12. I also use it in all of my 2 stroke power equipment at 50:1 on pump premium with no plug or clogged exhaust issues.  Love this stuff, I bet I have burned 5 gallons of it over the years. Plus the fact that the green oil with green C12 looks really kool,  I have been told the difference between the 710 and the more expensive 800 is that the 800 has a downstream detergent package to keep power valves, which we don't have in trial bikes cleaner.

My first trials bike was a GasGas 06 and I first ran it at 50:1. it was orrid to ride smoked badly and fouled plugs, importer told me the manual was written for the pre pro model and I should use 70:1. It ran so much better I've run this for 10 years using Putolene or Castrol fully synthetic oil. ?

When I started out we ran our bikes on 20:1 or 25:1, oil technology has changed for the better massively, run it at the manufacturers specifications and you can't go wrong, remember the more oil you add the weaker the actual fuel mixture is as more oil = less fuel going into the combustion process.