No GB round 2019

trialnick

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

You would think that the Sport 7 man Jake Miller could sort it out but is obviously not feeling to agreeable after being shoved off the Team.

Shoved off what team? Jake as sport 7 organised the series completely autonomously, the fact that the manufacturers teams did not see his vision as one they agreed with resulted in his contract being terminated? Unless you know different.

I'm not sure how as he was the promoter and had obviously worked out the details of Anglesey, he is not feeling"agreeable" ?

Fyi @oni nou the FIM have never subsidised any WTC afaik so why would they start with the British round,now?

Edited by nigel dabster

we could have brought the world trial back to tong for 2019 but the 1 day format is not viable in this country unless a very generous sponsor would like to make a large contribution to the costs  , the trial this year is being run on last years  format requires a 10.000 euro  payment to the FIM  5000 euro  solidarity fund and 5000 timing and podium that's before  you start with the  other costs, which on a one day event would be impossible to cover. hopefully a 2020 GB trial will be 2 days and we can return to sustainability . 

Whatever the in and outs still bit sad that no world round in uk!

we have quite a few decent riders in the different trial category’s, but no way of watching them in this country. 

Wonder what would be said if Spain was to cancel both its rounds!

I understand there may be other changes to the calendar originally published by Sport7. I believe Holland is out because the manufacturers didn't want to go there.  Hope nobody's booked travel.

Personal opinion.

The whole world trial situation has got totally out of hand in recent years and is financially unsustainable. Several years ago at Penrith (Nord Vue) it was intimated to me that the cost of organising the trial then (now some six years ago) was around £35,000 and to meet that figure everything had to be pared right down to the bone costs wise. Obviously any organisation that wishes to promote a world trial needs to not only cover their costs but to make a profit, so to achieve that it meant having a two day event, a decent turn out of spectators all paying to get in and pray for decent weather.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to attract a decent crowd to a trial which is just one of many reasons why Dirt Bike Action pulled out of their planned second running at Tong in 2017. That was the first year of Sport7's involvement and DBA realised that the demanded extra costs just couldn't be justified.

All that has changed since then is that costs have increased with no guarantee whatsoever that the spectator attendance could fund the expense and allow the promotor to make a profit.

All the weasly words about Britain being the home of trials, we don't make trials bikes any more etc etc etc mean nothing. It has all got out of hand. Despite what some folks would say, there is no need to have hard standing, a mass of generators, fancy press facilities, electronic timing, dozens of officials throwing their weight around and annoying everybody. A world trial could be held just as it was 10-20 years ago, using a decent venue with reasonable parking, a PA system, a press facility in a caravan. Indeed, a return to a trial that matched Hawkstone in its premium years is what is needed. It would still cost a lot but the public, knowing that the "feeling" they enjoyed those years ago would return, would encourage them to attend.

I would even go as far to suggest that if you asked Bou,Raga, Dabill, Fujinami if they would still ride if the sport went back ten years, then I think they would. They may well enjoy having an artic full of bikes,mechanics and caterers, but equally it would still be done at a less ostentacious way.

I could go on, but I guess you get my point. The organisation excess has effectively contributed to the sport's downfall at World Championship level.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hmmpph.  What a shame, I was looking forward to this and had planned to buy tickets for my nephew and his mates.  No idea what the venue is like, but the island is a great place to visit and would be nice at that time of year I am sure.  I can stop visiting the website every day to get tickets now.

The Belgian event is not too far if you are in the Southern part of the UK.  About 3 hours from Calais.  Might go to that.  You can buy tickets on line for that and plenty of places to stay overnight in Liege.  Expensive with the ferries or Eurotunnel added in though.

I would have thought a more central venue than North Wales would attract more visitors?  The peak district for example.  It's a superb venue with some great scenery and wonderful places to ride, plus there is a wealth of accommodation and food and so on.  UK  has more TV channels than you can shake a stick at with programs like 5th gear surely we could muster a little media interest?  35 grand hillary?  is that all?  Seriously?  All the more shame, a village fete is more than that.

Some countries motor sports bodies may be able to cadge some funding out of regional tourism funds, or similar to ease the pain.  A dryer climate probably makes the spectator number more secure as well.  Anglesea sounds a cool place but as noted a long way out and a central location is surely more likely to guarantee better spectator support.  Some events in Europe seem to be close to towns with the parking etc in the local infrastructure doubling up as a tourist booster, a bit like the Scottish and Fort William. Pity it can't be held in an almost urban context, no old quarries left in Leeds or Sheffield I suppose! Any motor sport friendly small towns with rocky surroundings near by?

• Like 1

For a good quarry as a base you ideally need limestone.  Somewhere like Hope in the Peak District has big quarries nearby.  The problem is probably that the cost of renting then cleaning up afterwards is too high.  All these sorts of places are run by commercial companies and they might be open to the idea or not.  Weymouth is a venue where the quarry (Albion Stone) is used by the local club.  http://www.bridportandweymouthmcc.co.uk/

This venue is probably good enough and the location was the Olympics sailing village.  Very "tourist" venue with B&B and hotels and facilities there plus the ferry port.  Of course I am not at all biased by it being just up the road.  Oh no.