No GB round 2019

trialnick

I tend to agree with Hillary and at one time would have been horrified that we didn't have a round but now, frankly, am not too bothered.  I can't summon up enough interest in WTC to read the results and there was a time when I would never have thought I could say that.

What we can be sure of is that lack of a round will have absolutely no effect on entries at the many dozens, or more, of trials run each weekend involving hundreds, if not thousands, of riders, nor will it affect sales of new bikes, or anyone's enthusiasm for the sport.  Does this make WTC irrrelevant?

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

The future of trials competition in the UK ..https://youtu.be/ckr_Xo_wE04.... first rider through Jacob Wees Smog .................The future of trials competition in other parts of the world https://youtu.be/6IhYWueeRx4 

You have a valid point but it highlights something:  In my heyday I could buy a bike pretty much the same as was used in the world rounds and I could use the annual performance improvements provided as they were appropriate for the sections I rode.  The bikes used today at world level would be pretty much unrideable by me now or by today's equivalent of me in my twenties.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

16 hours ago, oni nou said:

Red Bull is one door that might be knocked on ....Doug Lampkin 12 time WTC  has a deal with them ....there is already  a trials connection built.

What would £40,000 GBP be to them .......it would be like asking to borrow £1 from a bank. 

They held a round in Helsinki centre in the 1990's if I remember correctly  ...The trial needs to be taken to the people not the people to the trial if sponsors are going to see the value.

Both Dougie and his long time "adviser/manager" have big tie ups with red bull hence the red bull city trial in manchester (trials to the people????), during the years that Martin and Jake were looking for venues etc for the British wtc dont you think if it was as easy as you say they would have done it?

Value for sponsors, 5th gear, tv channels? Trials to the people? If you really have all the answers then put your money where your mouth is?

You really are in Disneyland............

Edited by nigel dabster

We have to remember and accept, that Britain doesn't have any contenders to the world championship. Dougie attracted a lot of attention with media, sponsors and spectators to the British GP because he was winning and he was local. Local or even national media or sponsors just aren't interested the same if the top 6 are from spain. When a country has someone who's really on form, at the top and an odds on winner, the home round is always more of a success, whether its silverstone, wimbledon or the open.

Edited by faussy

31 minutes ago, faussy said:

We have to remember and accept, that Britain doesn't have any contenders to the world championship. Dougie attracted a lot of attention with media, sponsors and spectators to the British GP because he was winning and he was local. Local or even national media or sponsors just aren't interested the same if the top 6 are from spain. When a country has someone who's really on form, at the top and an odds on winner, the home round is always more of a success, whether its silverstone, wimbledon or the open.

I am sure there is some truth in this and a UK rider would probably generate more UK interest.  Assuming that to be the case how do we generate more world class riders?  We have some pretty good ones already, how do we get that next step?  I see good facilities and a lot of people interested in the sport at club level.  How to convert that?

46 minutes ago, faussy said:

Are you actually serious?

Trial2 and Trial125 are now both World Championships. They didn't used to be, they were "World Cup" which is somehow different in the eyes of the FIM, but they do have full Championship status now.

Undercard events nonetheless. It was hard enough selling the world championship to councils/sponsors/media when the UK had an outright work champion. 

The crowds we got at hawkstone around 2000 aren't coming back until another Doug comes along.

Or sheffield with colley and jarvis. Proper contenders. No offence to the others listed above

Edited by faussy

The Spanish youngsters get a lot of support from the RFME, paid for by their higher licence fees. Any attempt to increase licence fees in the UK to fund Youth Trials would be met with French-style rioting on the streets of Silsden.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, oni nou said:

The FIM are just going to have to make a special case for the UK and allow them to hold their Trial GP round at the Scott trial ..it would add a bit of interest to the series instead of the same old format of huge 4m high slabs of rock. 

I think you're saying this tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, id vote for that as an "alternative arrangement". As was said above the british invented the sport, why not reinvent it and bring those jumping jorges back to earth ? The same old stuff does get a tad boring after a while.

Edited by faussy

On 2/4/2019 at 12:43 PM, faussy said:

Are you actually serious?

Of course I am. How million support national football teams knowing full well they will never win. Billy Green and Jack Price have been world champions ( price may have been trial cup but good enough for me) Dibs has been on the podium numerous times and Emma is a multi world champion. As a trials rider why would you not support them ?

• Like 1