No GB round 2019

trialnick

As a newbie to trials, I made the journey up to Yorkshire last September to watch the WC round. First ever visit to such an event.

Various things amazed me, not least the weather, where it was hot and shining for the second time that I've visited. I believe a new world record was set when I last visited the 'dales as part of the Bike 8 (A figure of 8 lap of Great Britain centred on Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales) a couple of years ago and couldn't ride from Hawes to Ingleton due to the low sun being blindingly bright!

Anyway, I thought it was all fantastic. Amazing location, truly unbelievable sections that looked like they'd challenge a rock climber let alone a motorbike! There seemed to be a fair few punters wondering around. Not exactly Silverstone but then I wouldn't expect that. I was more than happy to cough up the entrance fee and found cheap accommodation at the YHA in Haworth, along with several others. Only downside was no Theakston's Pub there, which was a bit disappointing TBH! ?

So it's all a bit of a shame that they couldn't just do the same again. Was there a big loss on the event? Did they decide the venue wasn't good in some way? Was it just that Sport 7 are no longer involved and it takes someone like a sports promoter with the advertising contacts, organisational and administrative set-up etc etc to run such an event?

As someone who has the organisational and administrative skills of a flea, I appreciate the work that goes in to running things like this and am prepared to pay accordingly, especially to see the best in the world.

Someone managed to run the Sheffield Indoor Trial at the beginning of January and there were plenty of people there, right in the middle of winter, so can whoever did that get involved? Does it just need a kick-ass big fence around the thing to keep the shysters that won't pay out? They manage it for The Boomtown Fair in Hampshire, which is massive.

23 hours ago, breagh said:

We didn't have a world championship until about 75 ,every sport seems to need a world championship there days from tiddlywinks to Yachting and beyond,it's nonsense.

I've some sympathy with that view Breagh but, because I am an enthusiast, do feel that trials should have a world championship, but perhaps not what we've actually got.

You are old enough to remember the estimable Ralph Venables and to have read his weekly thoughts; I suppose we youths regarded him as an old reactionary (much as some will see us now) but as I recall he predicted that trials would become the flea circus it has.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

As a newbie to trials, I made the journey up to Yorkshire last September to watch the WC round. First ever visit to such an event.

Various things amazed me, not least the weather, where it was hot and shining for the second time that I've visited. I believe a new world record was set when I last visited the 'dales as part of the Bike 8 (A figure of 8 lap of Great Britain centred on Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales) a couple of years ago and couldn't ride from Hawes to Ingleton due to the low sun being blindingly bright!

Anyway, I thought it was all fantastic. Amazing location, truly unbelievable sections that looked like they'd challenge a rock climber let alone a motorbike! There seemed to be a fair few punters wondering around. Not exactly Silverstone but then I wouldn't expect that. I was more than happy to cough up the entrance fee and found cheap accommodation at the YHA in Haworth, along with several others. Only downside was no Theakston's Pub there, which was a bit disappointing TBH! ?

So it's all a bit of a shame that they couldn't just do the same again. Was there a big loss on the event? Did they decide the venue wasn't good in some way? Was it just that Sport 7 are no longer involved and it takes someone like a sports promoter with the advertising contacts, organisational and administrative set-up etc etc to run such an event?

As someone who has the organisational and administrative skills of a flea, I appreciate the work that goes in to running things like this and am prepared to pay accordingly, especially to see the best in the world.

Someone managed to run the Sheffield Indoor Trial at the beginning of January and there were plenty of people there, right in the middle of winter, so can whoever did that get involved? Does it just need a kick-ass big fence around the thing to keep the shysters that won't pay out? They manage it for The Boomtown Fair in Hampshire, which is massive.

good points.

There has been unless im mistaken only two or 3 wtc organisers in the uk over the last twenty years and i dont think any of them did badly, and aside from Hawkstone the Northern Ireland rounds were probably the best organisation, and very much was modelled on the European wtc's where the local or regional authourity get involved. Think this was the case also with visit scotland in fort william.

Tong is not a preffered venue as its not "natural" but then it circles round to venue good trials sections arent or vice versa. Certainly there is an abundance of good terrain but no big truck parking.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:28 AM, johnnyboxer said:

Maybe the best way forward

No Stop Traditional & Classic Trials will flourish

Look at Scott/SSDT and the foreign Twinshock events...........they are flourishing with entries over 500, being whittled down to 300 riders

is this because the demographic is getting older every year?