Ossa TR77 engine number

rick_watts

Hi guys,

I have owned  a TR 77 for ages, just looked at the engine number and its M-640810  and there is no number on the frame. 

on all the reference tables the engine numbers start with a "B" 

can anyone help to confirm my engines identity ?

many thanks

Rick

Engine numbers start with an M,  the frame number starts with the B.  The identification chart quotes frame numbers which is why the prefix is B, but the engine and frame numbers matched when the bikes were built.  On early MAR the frame number was on a sticker sticker on the headstock but from around 1973 they were stamped into the headstock which is where yours should be

Thanks Woody, I have looked at the headstock and there is no sign of any stamped numbers. I know I am the second owner of the bike as I got it from Windsor comp shop back in 1979 but have lost the  registration document.

The engine is the original unit and has not been changed, do you know of any way of confirming the year so I can apply to re-register.

Thanks

Rick

If you're absolutely certain that the engine and frame are the original pairing then the frame number will be the same as the engine number, just prefixed B instead of M. If you fill out DVLA form V62, leaving the reg number blank if you don't know it and using the engine number for the chassis number but prefix B, they will match the chassis number to the reg number and send you the V5. As you will be the registered owner on their records it should simplify things but I'd put a covering letter with the form saying you've lost the V5 which is why you're applying for it

I don't know why your frame isn't stamped (replacement maybe?) as generally, after the MK1, the trials bikes were stamped on the headstock, stick on numbers were only used on the MK1 as far as I know

If there is a frame somewhere with your number on it and it is registered to someone else, be prepare for some questions from DVLA as t why you're applying for someone else's V5, but from what you've said I'd think that unlikely

I'm currently in a tussle with DVLA as someone has sent in a V62 applying for a V5 which I own....  Because it's a Bultaco and the frame and engine numbers didn't match on early bikes because of the way Comerfords sold them, I suspect someone has the engine that came with my bike from the factory, has an unregistered bike, and has applied for a V5 using the engine number as the chassis number in the hope they get a V5. 12 months on and DVLA still haven't sorted it...

No. it's not an Ossa frame, it's a close likeness but there are a few differences.  It would explain the lack of frame number

It could be a modified Whitlock frame as he made some for the earlier MK1 bikes.The footrest hangers look very much Whitlock. There are other likenesses with a Whitlock frame but then there are differences too  -  sidepanel mounts, additional mount for headsteady (maybe)  top shock position moved, bottom shock mounts changed, Swingarm spindle slot is normally open ended on the Whitlock frame.  Whitlock frames were nickel (or chrome, not sure) plated as yours is undernneath

Miller didn't sell an Ossa frame but Cheney did although it doesn't look like a Cheney. 

I'd guess at modified Whitlock but not sure

Only bad if you're bothered about originality I guess. The Whitlock frames were said to be good frames, lighter than the Ossa frame. I've never had one so don't know.

I'm reasonably sure it's a Whitlock from what I can see, but not sure about the swingarm as it doesn't look like the Whitlock one, but it could have been altered as well

I take it you can't remember the reg number, if not and you're certain of the history of the bike, I'm assuming it would have been registered using the original frame, so you should be ok filling the V62 out and applying for the V5 using the frame number

Ossa MAR  -  probably my favourite trials bike, just glad to help if I can

I'm reasonably sure it's a Whitlock frame but another thing that is missing is the rear brake pedal mount as that was located just behind the left hand footrest as the Whitlock didn't have the same brake spindle arrangement as the Ossa frame

I think the swingarm is either modified or a replacement. The bottom shock mounts are the wrong type and their positioning is wrong. The Whitlock frame was made for upright shocks as on the MK1 and MK2 MAR and the s/arm mount was just about in line with the front edge of the rear hub, the same location as the MK1 and 2 MAR frame, although the MK1 had a 1 1/4"  shorter arm than the MK2.

On the TR77 they went back to a short swingarm like the MK1 but put the shock mount right over the spindle. On yours the shock mount is further forward than a TR77 Ossa arm which is why the arm is pushed down at such an angle. This has left the shock angle somewhere between that of an earlier MAR and the TR77 and a steeper angle on the forks with the raised back end, the mounts need to be over the spindle to match the top mount and put the shock angle right.

I can't think of anything else but someone else may have something to add as there are other Ossa enthusiasts on here