Fueling problem?

p@ul250

Out for a ride This morning and my 2017 300 combat started blubing and running like a bike running low/out of fuel (it had a full tank). It cleared for a bit and then as soon as I started opening the throttle it would bog, but would tick over fine. I stopped the bike and then it wouldn't restart. After a long push back to the van I changed the plug (Had a good spark) and swapped battery, but It still wont start.  I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I set the start button. So I'm thinking Injector blocked or a fuel pressure issue.  Has anyone else had something similar? Any practical advice?

Hi Paul, the early 2017 models had problems with the fuel pressure lines inside the fuel tank where the lines could rupture (inside the tank) which means you are not getting sufficient fuel pressure to the injector and the motor feels like it is running lean and is fuel starved at higher revs. If these are your symptoms, then it is likely that a hose has ruptured. I found it very difficult to locate any flexible 6mm fuel hose in NZ that was designed to run under pressure and fit for immersion inside a fuel tank. Vertigo have replacement kits for this, try your local dealer. Bye, Peter B.

8 hours ago, peterb said:

Hi Paul, the early 2017 models had problems with the fuel pressure lines inside the fuel tank where the lines could rupture (inside the tank) which means you are not getting sufficient fuel pressure to the injector and the motor feels like it is running lean and is fuel starved at higher revs. If these are your symptoms, then it is likely that a hose has ruptured. I found it very difficult to locate any flexible 6mm fuel hose in NZ that was designed to run under pressure and fit for immersion inside a fuel tank. Vertigo have replacement kits for this, try your local dealer. Bye, Peter B.

Cheers Peter, I'll check the fuel pressure and if low I'll pull the fuel pump out of the tank and have a look, Paul C. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well it turned out to be the (throttle position sensor (TPS) had failed, new one from Vertigo UK is £33.40. I did check the fuel pump and lines as suggested and when in there I changed the in tank fuel filter. It's a Mahle KL97 the same as is used on the KTM 250, 350,450 EXC and loads of other fuel injected bikes. After two years the filter was looking pretty grotty and they can be had for around £16.00 here in the UK (KTM recommend changing theirs every 50 hours).  

Edited by p@ul250

10 hours ago, p@ul250 said:

Well it turned out to be the (throttle position sensor (TPS) had failed, new one from Vertigo UK is £33.40. I did check the fuel pump and lines as suggested and when in there I changed the in tank fuel filter. It's a Mahle KL97 the same as is used on the KTM 250, 350,450 EXC and loads of other fuel injected bikes. After two years the filter was looking pretty grotty and they can be had for around £16.00 here in the UK (KTM recommend changing theirs every 50 hours).  

Hello paul250. What sort of job was it changing the filter? 

Hi Evo Boy, not a hard job at all. To tell you the truth the hardest part was getting water pump bracket over to the side enough to get the the fuel tank top/pump assembly out. once it's out its just a case of cutting the single ear hose crimps and then pop the hoses off each end. You will need two new hose clips to fit the new filter with, ideally single ear hose crimps. I think they are 12mm (I happened to have an assorted box), or you could maybe get away with a couple of high torque hose clamps (bare in mind that the pump supplies up to 3.5 bar).

1 hour ago, p@ul250 said:

Hi Evo Boy, not a hard job at all. To tell you the truth the hardest part was getting water pump bracket over to the side enough to get the the fuel tank top/pump assembly out. once it's out its just a case of cutting the single ear hose crimps and then pop the hoses off each end. You will need two new hose clips to fit the new filter with, ideally single ear hose crimps. I think they are 12mm (I happened to have an assorted box), or you could maybe get away with a couple of high torque hose clamps (bare in mind that the pump supplies up to 3.5 bar).

Ok I think I need to replace mine as its 2 years old now. Where is the best place to get a filter? Vertigo?

Many thanks 

1 hour ago, evo boy said:

Where is the best place to get a filter? Vertigo?

I found plenty in the US on eBay by searching "Mahle KL97" .  As I recall, peterb mentioned the same filter is used in the OSSA (but is much less convenient to replace).

3 hours ago, evo boy said:

Ok I think I need to replace mine as its 2 years old now. Where is the best place to get a filter? Vertigo?

Many thanks 

Vertigo don't list the filter as a part, only the complete pump assembly. I did a google search  for Mahle KL97 and came up with loads of options here in the UK. You could use this kit as the strainer is also the same as the one on the Vertigo. Only thing is these hose crimps are to small for the hoses used on the Vertigo. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mahle-Filter-KL97-OEM-Strainer-Kit-for-KTM-75007088111-7500708211/112962428495?epid=8018589804andhash=item1a4d15de4f:g:YTEAAOSwA4Va4c4O:rk:18:pf:0 

Edited by p@ul250
extra info added.

10 hours ago, p@ul250 said:

Vertigo don't list the filter as a part, only the complete pump assembly. I did a google search  for Mahle KL97 and came up with loads of options here in the UK. You could use this kit as the strainer is also the same as the one on the Vertigo. Only thing is these hose crimps are to small for the hoses used on the Vertigo. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mahle-Filter-KL97-OEM-Strainer-Kit-for-KTM-75007088111-7500708211/112962428495?epid=8018589804andhash=item1a4d15de4f:g:YTEAAOSwA4Va4c4O:rk:18:pf:0 

I'll order the that kit thank you. I just feel it should be changed after 2 years. Just strange Vertigo don't recommend changing or selling the filter separately. Thanks for your help that's this week and next job then ?

• 2 years later...

I'm going to replace my '17 Vertigo Ice Hell fuel filter this morning.  I have a plastic Mahle KL97 filter in my KTM supplies box, but I have switched to using NAPA metal fuel filters of the same basic dimension, and will be installing that as a replacement filter for my Vertigo.  Napa part number 3095

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar issue. Fuel filters is dirty so I've ordered a replacement. They probably don't list this because the whole assembly is about £500! My bike won't start, but if I bounce on the suspension and jiggle the tank about it will fire up briefly then cut out. At the minute my thoughts are, fuel filter, fuel pump, injector or tps sensor. I'm open to suggestions! Im enjoying fault finding but I enjoy riding it more!