air box blocker for evo ?

ar22

Something like this https://www.ewbay.co.uk/itm/DAB-PRODUCTS-BETA-EVO-AIR-FILTER-COVER-CLEAR-2009-2019-MODELS/233052620375?hash=item364304c657:g:JpIAAOSwSK1bF9Ku ?

I haven’t bought one yet because I can’t work out from the photo how it will work. And it seems a bit pricey for a flat piece of plastic.

There’s also this, which seems a bit implausible as a means of keeping water out but is a nice little bit of bling if your existing screw looks like the one in the photo (as mine does!). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BETA-EVO-AIR-FILTER-BOX-PLUG-SCREW-SEAT-BOLT-AIRBOX-COVER/292925442760?hash=item4433b78ac8:g:-d4AAOSwwARat9Tf 

47 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Something like this https://www.ewbay.co.uk/itm/DAB-PRODUCTS-BETA-EVO-AIR-FILTER-COVER-CLEAR-2009-2019-MODELS/233052620375?hash=item364304c657:g:JpIAAOSwSK1bF9Ku ?

I haven’t bought one yet because I can’t work out from the photo how it will work. And it seems a bit pricey for a flat piece of plastic.

There’s also this, which seems a bit implausible as a means of keeping water out but is a nice little bit of bling if your existing screw looks like the one in the photo (as mine does!). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BETA-EVO-AIR-FILTER-BOX-PLUG-SCREW-SEAT-BOLT-AIRBOX-COVER/292925442760?hash=item4433b78ac8:g:-d4AAOSwwARat9Tf 

I saw the clear filter cover for use when riding the bike, I would like to see one of these in real life, does it not restrict the air intake and therefore make the bike run rich ?

I was hoping for something like the following that fits a Beta 250 enduro bike 

beta air filter cover.JPG

Edited by ar22

2 hours ago, markbxr400 said:

Or pull the air filter cover, cut a piece of plastic from a ziplock bag a little larger than the opening, lay it over the filter opening, then put the cover back on.  Remove once you're done.

3 hours ago, tshock250 said:

Stuff an old rag in.

probably for now a combo of these two will happen as it seems twin air etc dont do one for this bike which is surprising as they make them for every mx or enduro bike made

I might get another lid, silicone thin plastic (sweet box lid) over the hole put some  foam round the edge to seal it when fitted

cheers 

4 hours ago, ar22 said:

I saw the clear filter cover for use when riding the bike, I would like to see one of these in real life, does it not restrict the air intake and therefore make the bike run rich ?

I was hoping for something like the following that fits a Beta 250 enduro bike 

beta air filter cover.JPG

I misunderstood you. I didn’t realise you only wanted something for washing.

I really don’t think washing is the issue though. It’s riding. My 40yo Fantic would go at least six trials between filter cleans. Yet a modern Beta sucks in mud, water and small twigs as soon as you ride it through a muddy puddle!

I’ve just cleaned out my air filter after just a couple of hours riding (admittedly in wet and muddy conditions) and it was filthy. I had taped over the grilles in the seat for washing. I think I’m going to have to take a punt on the clear cover.

5 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

How would you know the permanent cover had worked unless you looked? No effort saved then.

Looking is quick and easy. Removing, washing, drying, oiling and refitting is messy and more time-consuming.

I’ve just decided to put my money where my mouth is, so I’ve ordered a clear plastic cover. I’ll report back in a week or two.

16 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I check the filter at least every time I wash the bike so putting any old bit of poly bag or whatever over the intake is no hardship.  How would you know the permanent cover had worked unless you looked? No effort saved then.

I was initially only wanted the cover to stop any water getting into the airbox when washing the bike with a powerhose and was looking to remove the filter, fit blocker with usually a bit of blue rill in the airbox to be extra safe. We have motocross bikes and they are available for them and do a great job and wouldn't consider washing them without one fitted. 

The lid seems to be very cheap (£3) so I will certainly just make my own as already discussed. 

What has become apparent and something I was unaware of, as I haven't had the bike out yet, is that water can get into the airbox when riding the bike !

11 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Looking is quick and easy. Removing, washing, drying, oiling and refitting is messy and more time-consuming.

I’ve just decided to put my money where my mouth is, so I’ve ordered a clear plastic cover. I’ll report back in a week or two.

I would appreciate your feedback on the clear cover as it might be something else to add to my list. 

In the meantime there seems to be rubber strips available for between the exhaust and mudguard that help keep the dirt away from the airbox, 

thanks for all the replies 

On 2/3/2019 at 10:35 PM, trapezeartist said:

The clear plastic cover arrived. The most expensive bit of plastic I've ever bought! There was no guidance on how to fit it but I worked it out. The fixing holes needed adjusting and there was quite a lot of material to be trimmed off the sides. Even then it was awkward to fit, but it's on now and awaiting the opportunity to test it.

2 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

The clear plastic cover arrived. The most expensive bit of plastic I've ever bought! There was no guidance on how to fit it but I worked it out. The fixing holes needed adjusting and there was quite a lot of material to be trimmed off the sides. Even then it was awkward to fit, but it's on now and awaiting the opportunity to test it.

I'd be interested to see a picture of this, or a link to supplier's photo.

He's my take on my similar situation. I find I have to remove and clean my air filter after every use on my 300 4t Evo. There's always small bits laying in the filter. Like most I have spare filters so don't have to wait for clean and drying time just swap over and reassemble. 

When the bike is very muddy and a good wash is needed I leave on the seat/mudguard on while I wash the bike. I then go through the usual removing seat/mudguard and filter clean. If I've managed to get filter wet it doesn't matter and any water in airbox I drain it out.

Have one of those plastic sheet air box covers but have never fitted it, as mentioned they're fiddly and I not sure I really need that amount of cover. If I was riding deep water streams, crossing deep bogs etc I may well fit it to prevent water getting in filter.

I have some tips to keep air filter dry and cleaner that have worked for me. I wedge some reticulated foam in the gap in frame above the carburetor. This helps reduce splashes from water, dirt, twigs, leaves etc finding their way into the filter top. I also seal off the small gap above the rear silencer mount with gaffer tape. There was a hole for wiring in the rear mudguard that I sealed with Sikaflex. 

21 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I'd be interested to see a picture of this, or a link to supplier's photo.

It might be a week or so before I have it in pieces again to take a photo. And I got no info at all from the supplier.

The piece of plastic has three holes that roughly correspond to the rear airbox mounting screws and the airbox cover screw. After a bit of gentle filing, I got it attached on the two main screws. When I put the seat on, the plastic poked out the sides, so I marked it, took it all apart and trimmed off the surplus. On reassembly the plastic sheet rests on the four knobs on the airbox. The sheet is flat whereas the seat is curved so the seat has to be pushed down pretty hard to get the screws in. It went eventually though and then I had to put on the airbox cover which was also a bit of a fiddle.

I'm not sure if I'll be riding this weekend. If I do, I'll report back next week. If not, the answers will come a week later.

I'm about 50% optimistic that it will be successful, and fitting and removal should be easier in the future once the plastic has relaxed into place. But it would all be unnecessary if Beta made a better airbox in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

My 50% optimism was about right. It about 50% worked. The top surface of the plastic thingie was very wet and a bit muddy, so it had stopped all that going into the air filter. On the other hand there was plenty of dirt in the filter and a little bit of wetness at the bottom point.

I don’t expect it to live more than half a dozen trials, and I certainly won’t be paying another £12.99 for a piddly  bit of plastic. I’ll hunt around for something of the right thickness and stiffness and make my own.