1982 SWM 320TL NEW

xtrullas

Hello, I'm Xavi from Barcelona, I have a SWM 320TL NW from 1982, I just put a Climber motor and now I'm looking for an aluminum swingarm model 1983. Could you help me locate one?, I contacted Martin but a long time ago that you do not have any… Thanks a lot

d3cb208c-8fc4-4ae2-a3c7-49c0a160f8a1.jpg

Edited by xtrullas

I have an air cooled climber motor, but found the gearing very high, even with 10t gear box sprocket, and 54 tooth rear. Eventually I will change the crankshaft pinion and clutch basket for earlier ones.  Have fun !

2 day trial at D'All is very good I'm told, are you riding this year. 

Edited by b40rt
  • Confused 1

I am using a swingarm from a later Aprilia TXR bike, as they were more common, at least in northern Europe. No problems to make them fit any '80s SWM bike, just make some spacers between frame and engine, then weld on a pair of shock mounts and a fitting for the rear brake.

However, regarding primary gearing, that must be a matter of personal taste from b40rt, as the higher gearing works perfect for me. If not, why go to all the trouble changing clutch basket and so on when you could go for a 56-60t rear sprocket (if you really need to go that slow....)?? ?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, turbohead said:

However, regarding primary gearing, that must be a matter of personal taste from b40rt, as the higher gearing works perfect for me. If not, why go to all the trouble changing clutch basket and so on when you could go for a 56-60t rear sprocket (if you really need to go that slow....)?? ?

Hi G, here we have to agree to differ. I ride in second gear in many sections and agree its very usable, but I do like the option of a lower first gear. 

( Are you going to Telford this year ? )  

I must admit my enduro background make me a pretty lousy trials rider, still. Back then, when things got real tricky, speed could save your day if you were good enough and that is very hard to forget or get entirely out of your mind, so nowadays I still ride though sections too quick with too many dabs. Perhaps I should put the blame on my TXR engine and its primary gearing, not myself....?

Seriously, you have a point. I'll begin with a 56-60t sprocket and see what that mean to me. Before summer I could even consider taking the engine apart, if things turn out your way. Maybe!

(BTW no Telford this year, working a couple of weeks in Africa!)