Moving from Classics to moderns ? Bike advice please

old trials fanatic

Having recently moved i am in the sad predicament of living in an area bereft of ClassicTrials clubs and venues. Yes i know i should have thought about that earlier but in my own defense all my life i have NEVER had to travel more than 40 mins to an event every weekend and because there is so much incredible terrain around here, close to Aberystwith, i just stupidly assumed there would be loads of trials taking advantage of it. 

So it's about a 2 and a half hour drive each way to my nearest Classic club so i find myself having to consider riding at a "modern" club and dont fancy trashing my Classic bikes. I have wondered about buying a modern bike, very limited budget, and have narrowed it down to either a Montesa 315R or a Beta 250 / 270 Rev 3. 

Would these be a good choice for the "easiest" route ? Would there be a better option on a very limited budget ? 

I'd still like to ride but at the moment it's looking to be not very often using the Classic bikes. 

58 minutes ago, old trials fanatic said:

Having recently moved i am in the sad predicament of living in an area bereft of ClassicTrials clubs and venues. Yes i know i should have thought about that earlier but in my own defense all my life i have NEVER had to travel more than 40 mins to an event every weekend and because there is so much incredible terrain around here, close to Aberystwith, i just stupidly assumed there would be loads of trials taking advantage of it. 

So it's about a 2 and a half hour drive each way to my nearest Classic club so i find myself having to consider riding at a "modern" club and dont fancy trashing my Classic bikes. I have wondered about buying a modern bike, very limited budget, and have narrowed it down to either a Montesa 315R or a Beta 250 / 270 Rev 3. 

W*ould these be a good choice for the "easiest" route ? Would there be a better option on a very limited budget ? 

I'd still like to ride but at the moment it's looking to be not very often using the Classic bikes. 

For a modern bike either Beta 200 or Beta 250 Rev or Evo, whichever buy on condition not price alone.

We have family in Aberystwyth and while there are enduro events around the mid wales area very few trials seem to be held which has you say given the available terrain is surprising. Might we yet see a Ceredigion Classic Trials Club formed??

• Like 2

I can't count how many time I was offered to try modern bike, but I always was reluctant, I don't know why. I've been riding for a long time TS and I'm certainly not a top rider. I mostly ride in the mountain. Don't ask why, but 3 years ago in winter, I suddenly had that crazy idea to buy a modern bike ( probably old age crises ), I found a well kept Rev 250 2003 at a good price and bought it. I just installed a slow throttle and off I went. It's very different from my TY or any other TS I rode, but when I calmed down after a couple off hour riding, I found it very pleasant and easy to ride. A 250 was and is a good choice for me ( I trade the Rev for a 2015 250 Sherco this fall) forgiving when I was not in the right gear and fairly easy to ride. I was well advise by a dealer before I made the move : don't be rushed to buy, a well bought bike is an easy bike to resell without loss if you don't like the experience. I vote go for it !

Guy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

As a rider from the classic era who rode a Rev 3 for twelve years I can say you'll have no problems getting round tight turns using an old fashioned riding style on that bike.  I have not ridden an Evo though.

I have also ridden both Rev and Evo bikes on many occasions, both models turn equally well. Possibly some of the earlier Techno models with upside down forks handled differently but  cannot comment on those.

OTF http://www.aqueductclassics.club http://www.gresfordclassic.co.uk

• Like 1

You have far more experience than me so I can only offer you a new rider opinion on the 250 Rev 3.  The bike is very good and certainly good enough for club level trials.  The Mikuni carb is not brilliant and  the exhaust rubs on the tyre and is a pain.  For those reasons I wish I had spent more and bought an Evo.  However the Rev is a cheap ride and you can get a decent one for a grand if you look hard enough.  I would part with mine for a couple of hundred more than that.

Read the Beta specific sub forum and the clutch issue specifically.  You need to factor in the job if you don't want the cold stick issue.  I have moved over to Nano Trans and now on the third oil change and it certainly is a better oil and the clutch is much better.  I might do the full job when the weather warms up, too cold to be bothered at the minute.

The suspension is the same more or less as the modern bikes and so despite the age and the issues it is not that far from a 2019 model.  I very much like my bike but I am looking at upgrading for the reasons outlined.  My budget is going to be more than yours as it is my only bike not a second machine.  As a second bike I would be very very happy with it.

• Like 1