sikoflex or tiger seal for rim sealing?

mcman56

The Beta UK SSDT guide recommends sealing rim strips with sikoflex or tiger seal.  I have never seen this stuff but have a very slow leak am thinking about giving it a try.  Has anyone down this?  Is there just on version of sikoflex and tiger seal?  Is it easy to clean off for removal?   

I sealed mine with sikoflex - I have a very corroded rim and tried new band/cleaning it etc but couldn't get a great seal - the stuff is black and unbelievably sticky - not easy to clean up, so be careful!! I was a bit generous with it and used my finger (in a rubber glove) to smooth a bead around the rim tape. I'm about to change my tyre so I'm interested to see what it all looks like when I take it off! I'm guessing this is classed as a "bodge" but I can't think of any other way except using a tube or getting a new rim for the situation I am in.

No idea about tiger seal though.

Edited by markparrish
wrong word

2 hours ago, mcman56 said:

The Beta UK SSDT guide recommends sealing rim strips with sikoflex or tiger seal.  I have never seen this stuff but have a very slow leak am thinking about giving it a try.  Has anyone down this?  Is there just on version of sikoflex and tiger seal?  Is it easy to clean off for removal?   

we use these products regulaly , it can glue almost anything , it canbe used glue van bodies ect , if you are worried dont use it it is difficult to remove once set .wear rubber gloves ,dont put too much on , in the uk tiger seal is cheaper and just as good for this job we get it from good motor factors . in the past i have also used good clear silicone sealer but not quite as durable but is fairly easy to remove if you need to .hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 9:43 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

Someone on here recommended using Heldite on the spoke nipples.  I used it successfully on those that were leaking and reckon that you could just about do away with the rim tape.  Perhaps I'll  experiment next time I have a suitable rim.

What happens if you need to tighten the Spokes in the future ?

4 hours ago, motorcycleemptyness said:

What happens if you need to tighten the Spokes in the future ?

Exactly, better to do the job correctly in the first place.

maybe if your wheel is bodged up with sealant, you don’t worry about the odd lose spoke?

It's easy to redo.  But I have not had to tighten a spoke in at least the last decade (and, yes, my wheels are true) . But what happens to a rim tape solution if you are careless when changing a tyre?  Choose your pIck, as they say.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke