Evo factory front brake issues

dmc2028372

Hi. Anyone else experienced problems with the front brake? My 18 Factory evo has a ***** brake. It almost takes a few fingers pull to lock the wheel. It feels slightly spongy but not serious. It just seems like the pads aren’t biting at all. A mate of mine said the original pads from new are too harder compound. Any ideas/recommendations? Thanks

Oni nou is correct. You have to figure out if it is just crap pads and air which it could be. The M/C are not as great as they think they are. My `16 was crap, I fought it for about 6 months. Finally replaced the whole system with AJP. Just last week I went to a Nissin M/C. So far it is the best yet. 

6 hours ago, dmc2028372 said:

Hi. Anyone else experienced problems with the front brake? My 18 Factory evo has a ***** brake. It almost takes a few fingers pull to lock the wheel. It feels slightly spongy but not serious. It just seems like the pads aren’t biting at all. A mate of mine said the original pads from new are too harder compound. Any ideas/recommendations? Thanks

Definite problem with the components on your bike, I owned a 15 and 17 factory beta and remember the front brake was good and the rear as someone suggested was weak.  If the pads get contaminated in any way that causes glazing then throw them away and start again.  There is no way you should require two fingers or to exert the pressures you infer.  I believe the 19 factory rear brake is improved from the previous years as is the front. 

Hi

Most of above advice is good, but I would not recommend cold water on a hot disc - it may warp the disc. assuming disc is not warped and a problem, better to boil pads in a pan of water with washing up liquid (don't use the wives best pan!) If it could be just air in the system, a surprisingly good solution that seems to work more times than not is to do what the MX boys do. With the bike on a stand, ensuring the master cylinder is higher than the highest point of the brake hose, pull the brake on and tie with string / cable tie and leave overnight. Seems to have a good effect on mine, if calliper has been off and brake feels spongy. Some people swear by tapping the hose with a spanner - supposedly to move any air.

Edited by TRS Fan

I would remove the rear caliper and set it as low as possible leaving no high points push the pistons out with the bake brake then force them back in to push air out the caliper, leave it a day ,then back bleed the caliper pushing air and old fluid up into the resevoir.

2 hours ago, TRS Fan said:

Hi

Most of above advice is good, but I would not recommend cold water on a hot disc - it may warp the disc. assuming disc is not warped and a problem, better to boil pads in a pan of water with washing up liquid (don't use the wives best pan!) If it could be just air in the system, a surprisingly good solution that seems to work more times than not is to do what the MX boys do. With the bike on a stand, ensuring the master cylinder is higher than the highest point of the brake hose, pull the brake on and tie with string / cable tie and leave overnight. Seems to have a good effect on mine, if calliper has been off and brake feels spongy. Some people swear by tapping the hose with a spanner - supposedly to move any air.

I have seen the water trick done hundreds of times with no problems. First time I ever saw it done was by a world champion. Tying up the brakes is for air bubbles. The water trick is for pads and rotors.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sirdabalot said:

Anybody explain how the cold water trick works? 

You ride around for a few minutes heating up the disc and pads and throw a small bucket of water on same. You should have great brakes instantly or you have a real problem.