1974 Montesa 247 Cota

peterdon

I'm currently working through the mechanicals on my '71. 

There's a huge amount of information and wisdom available here... from folk that have pretty much, seen and done everything there is to do with the 247 - don't be afraid to ask. In terms of a manual, there are a few versions of the original Montesa publication available online, but I've found the Clymer 'Montesa Service - Repair Handbook - 123 to 360cc Singles' manual invaluable. It's been out of print for years but occasionally something pops-up via eBay/Amazon, etc. Its well laid out, with clear b&w photography and a logical, easy to follow approach to almost every aspect of repairing and overhauling the bike(s).

Enjoy the journey and keep us posted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riffraffretro said:

I'm currently working through the mechanicals on my '71. 

There's a huge amount of information and wisdom available here... from folk that have pretty much, seen and done everything there is to do with the 247 - don't be afraid to ask. In terms of a manual, there are a few versions of the original Montesa publication available online, but I've found the Clymer 'Montesa Service - Repair Handbook - 123 to 360cc Singles' manual invaluable. It's been out of print for years but occasionally something pops-up via eBay/Amazon, etc. Its well laid out, with clear b&w photography and a logical, easy to follow approach to almost every aspect of repairing and overhauling the bike(s).

Enjoy the journey and keep us posted.

Clymer manuals usually win hands down over Haynes and other stuff, very often even better than the original workshop manuals.

Hi

I've rebuilt 2 x 247'sand have the Clymer manual, it's OK, but quite general. If you check the link below there is a parts manual which is quite useful.

https://www.carlsalter.com/classic-bike-service-manuals.asp

Things to look out for is damage on the crankcase cause by the kickstart smashing into the thin wall of the case. The primary drive gear can be a real pig to remove, I think somewhere on TC there is a picture of a puller someone made that looks good. Check the fine thread in the exhaust port, these often get chewed up. One of mine had cracked a gusset plate round the headstock.

Generally though fairly straight forward to rebuild, but some parts can be hard to find, especially if you want to go original.

• 5 months later...