Trial-E an Olympic sport ?

4 hours ago, sherpa325 said:

That's just plain crazy, doesn't fit the criteria.

I don't know much about Olympic sports criteria but just found this:

"The Tokyo 2020 committee listed the following criteria for new sports: added value; youth appeal; attractiveness for TV, media and the general public; gender equality; minimum impact on the number of events and/or quotas, infrastructure and operational costs and complexity."

it sounds like E trials might fit in with this brief description - but perhaps you have a better insight. Is it something to do with powered vehicles? I think powerboating used to be in there once.

Back in the mists of time this was tried, with the involvement of some high profile British Olympians if I recall correctly.  Perhaps the electric aspect and the fact that sections nowadays could be much more spectacular than in the twinshock era might give a higher chance of success.  Whether that be a good or bad thing is a moot point.  

5 hours ago, markparrish said:

I don't know much about Olympic sports criteria but just found this:

"The Tokyo 2020 committee listed the following criteria for new sports: added value; youth appeal; attractiveness for TV, media and the general public; gender equality; minimum impact on the number of events and/or quotas, infrastructure and operational costs and complexity."

it sounds like E trials might fit in with this brief description - but perhaps you have a better insight. Is it something to do with powered vehicles? I think powerboating used to be in there once.

as per the article in the first post... "Paris will be able to showcase several non-Olympic sports consistent with the IOC’s criteria: young sports, open to men and women, sustainable, spectacular, practiced on all continents and requiring no new infrastructure."

e-trials is certainly a young sport and meets all the other criteria as well. if you compare it to horse riding (especially when they where the only form of horse power) or think about the technology in things like bob sleds and modern day sail boats in the Olympics I really don't see this as a big stretch.

I would caution though that having it become an Olympic sport will not automatically make it more popular... it will certainly help but only if people are willing to get more involved in promoting the sport than they are today. Currently trials in Canada is almost unknown but I am pretty sure it is still bigger than Biathlon (another sport I am involved with) which has even fewer people involved despite being an Olympic sport that is hugely popular in Europe.  

I think once upon a time it was suggested by a well placed Brit that motor cycle trials should replace horses and show jumping in the Olympics.

I think he was military background and riding Bultacos, so therefore it must have been late 1970s.

Much much later (10-15 years ago) I heard a rumour that the FIM blocked an Olympic approach to showcasing Trials on the grounds of 'solidarity' with other motor bike sports as they were going to promote some sort of 'Moto Olympics ' themselves.

The electric bikes are hardly more technical than the Olympic Laser Dingy and much more stadium friendly! 

I think the full price of a good basic Laser is £6,500 ish UK, compared with the EM Sport at £7,500.

Also having tested one the new EM has quite an impressive performance in both its top two 'modes' so it and similar bikes would put on a decent show in the right hands.

The Olympics is choc a block full of weird or obscure sports so one more wouldn't hurt.

Edited by micm

8 minutes ago, faussy said:

If it means Rob Warner will be commenting on it, i would nearly vote against it

I don't think Arr Narr Farr would be picked to ride electric anyway. Poyrow  might be though

Edited by oni nou
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, oni nou said:

I don't think Arr Narr Farr would be picked to ride electric anyway.

I don't know what annoys me more, him or the guy who calls fives, fiascos

If it does get selected... do you think we would see a big migration from the current series, including Bou, Raga etc? Who wouldn't want to win an olympic gold?

Edited by faussy

7 minutes ago, faussy said:

I don't know what annoys me more, him or the guy who calls fives, fiascos

If it does get selected? Do you think we would see a big migration from the current series, including Bou, Raga etc? Who wouldn't want to win an olympic gold?

Yep Bou is already 'ELECTRIC' and he would definitely be riding if it happened.  The outcome is a foregone conclusion so not much point holding the competition really.

Edited by oni nou

1 hour ago, micm said:

The electric bikes are hardly more technical than the Olympic Laser Dingy and much more stadium friendly! 

I think the full price of a good basic Laser is £6,500 ish UK, compared with the EM Sport at £7,500.

The Olympics is choc a block full of weird or obscure sports so one more wouldn't hurt.

World Sailing has previously “locked in” five sailing events for 2024. These are the men’s Laser, women’s Laser Radial, men’s 49er, women’s 49erFX and the mixed Nacra 17. The Laser is the least technical and least expensive. My Brother bought a used 49er this summer tried sailing it twice and put it up for sale - He has sailed his whole life but the 49er is an absolutely crazy technical boat and the Nacra is even crazier. .