Trial-E an Olympic sport ?

"The outcome is a foregone conclusion so not much point holding the competition really."

So no different from the Alpine skiing in that case, but interesting perhaps to the casual sports TV watcher, rather like me watching the Men's Downhill and Giant Slalom for a change.

Also cost wise those Nacra catamarans in race form must cost a few bob more than a bike and van to put it in! 

I'm not sure about it being an Olympic event but then I have seen others sports which are getting a run at the Olympics that I had my doubts about. Possibly being a "renewable" ?? energy it would work in its favor. i seem to hear about electric cars quite abit now. The world solar challenge held in Australia is getting bigger with each year and seems to get alot of press. Emm a solar powered trials bike. Maybe we will be carting around solar panels to charge our electric bikes batteries in the decades to come.

Edited by 52 miles west of Venus

2 hours ago, oni nou said:

Red Bull may just pop up and show an interest although they have no interest in a British World round.

Did anybody ask Red Bull ???... funny thing about sponsors, usually somebody with a lot of passion has to ask them just the right way before the start forking over cash. People often assume somebody has been hard at it looking for sponsors but it isn't always the case... takes a certain type of person ;) 

9 minutes ago, michael_t said:

Did anybody ask Red Bull ???... funny thing about sponsors, usually somebody with a lot of passion has to ask them just the right way before the start forking over cash. People often assume somebody has been hard at it looking for sponsors but it isn't always the case... takes a certain type of person ;) 

I don't think the Olympics will let Red Bull or repsol or any other sponsor have advertising of any shape or form on riders or bikes.

I was referring to the comment about Red Bull not sponsoring the British World round... but I suppose that is a bit off topic. Lots of sponsors pour money into Olympic sports without having to have their logo on an athlete.

It may very well be that everyone has to ride the same bike (like sailors sailing Lazers or 49ers). Wonder how happy Yamaha would be if everyone was riding the TY-E. Having all athletes on the same bike may (or may not) effect the outcome certainly wouldn't be the first time people have thought about "what if everyone had the same bike?". 

I wonder if Yamaha would be allowed to have their logo on the bike if everyone had to ride Yamaha. That would be worth it for them if you could only ride the one brand.They have surfing in the Japanese Olympics coming up. I think they can ride any board they want wonder if they can put the brand logo on the boards.

I really don't think manufacturers would allow their works riders ride a different brand of bike. Especially Honda letting their rider ride a Yamaha! And is there any point doing it if the best in the world aren't riding in it?

Edited by faussy

Very similar to the NHL Hockey teams not letting their players play in the Olympics as it disrupts their season... In some ways it helps level the playing field a bit for other countries and returns it more to an amateur sporting event but there will always be that argument of it not being the best of the best (which wasn't really the original intent it was amateur only for the longest time)..