New value for money GasGas

the dabster

2 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Forgive me - i thought that was the whole point of the thread and why you started it. 

I don't think I articulated it as well as I could have chris, I realised this when I seen some of the responses.

If you look at my opening comments you will see I'm trying to say it is proportionately more expensive to trade a gasgas at this time in contrast to other brands because of the action of the importer.  I used the 911 example to show I understand depreciation and accept it in my dealings relative to the commodity your are buying and initial outlay versus second hand value.  It was the disparity created by the actions taken I was irked at.  Ultimately that does come down to cash but the context I intended was the principle if that makes sense. 

That makes a bit more sense, I actually have a cousin who lives in the UK and despite having a mint classic DB7 he trades in his newer model Aston Martin each couple of years for a newer one (I find it a bit hard to relate to him as well some days). From what I understand when Torrot bought GG a few years ago they totally changed the way they import/distribute bikes. Here in North America there is now just one importer/distributor for both the US and Canada and they handle both Enduro and Trials bikes. As I understand it they are Torrot employees compared to the old days when the importer was more independent and decided to buy a certain number of bikes and then move them through their dealer network. This is simply what I have gleaned from the internet and not sure if it the same in the UK? If it is true there are good and bad aspects to this approach but the bottom line is that it is different and for people used to having things a certain way it will take some time for everyone to figure things out... hopefully it will be better in the long run but my guess is (like any good company) Torrot will need to listen to its people closest to the customers if they want to truly succeed.

Just my 2 pennies...     

5 hours ago, michael_t said:

.. If it is true there are good and bad aspects to this approach but the bottom line is that it is different and for people used to having things a certain way it will take some time for everyone to figure things out... hopefully it will be better in the long run but my guess is (like any good company) Torrot will need to listen to its people closest to the customers if they want to truly succeed.

Just my 2 pennies...     

It does look like the new owners have a new business model (they say so on the website).  It will be interesting to see if they "revert" back to the more traditional model for this very tiny market segment or if the other trials bike manufacturers move to the mountainbike model of shifting new kit at a premium and heavily discounting last year's model.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/8/2019 at 12:48 PM, the dabster said:

I don't need to do a survey my personal experience illustrates things perfectly.  I buy an 18 racing for £6399 in july, go to upgrade this week and told by a dealer my trade value is £3500 due to the fact the importer has discounted his remaining stock of brand new 18 models to circa 5K. Dealer says why would I give you any more, I can't sell it because the importer has undermined the market!  Look at the disparity in the figures that has created. The amount of discount he is offering to get rid of stock has proportionally impacted the figure I can reasonably expect to achieve as a trade in. It's simple economics or as the experts define it, the science of self interest!

1: you probably didn't pay £6399, especially in July with 19's a mere couple of months away - if you did then your dealer didn't help you at all and saw you coming

2: if your dealer is only offering £3500 then as mentioned elsewhere your dealer (possibly again) saw you coming and is fleecing you 

3: think all the 18's now gone so you could see your rise a bit in value

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nickday1 said:

1: you probably didn't pay £6399, especially in July with 19's a mere couple of months away - if you did then your dealer didn't help you at all and saw you coming

2: if your dealer is only offering £3500 then as mentioned elsewhere your dealer (possibly again) saw you coming and is fleecing you 

3: think all the 18's now gone so you could see your rise a bit in value

I paid full retail price in July that's a fact.  He gave me a trade in of £5k for a second hand TRS RR against the retail price.  Not sure if he seen me coming or not but these figures are ball park from my experience.  Do you know a dealer that would be more generous? I'd be genuinely interested.  It was one random dealer offered 3.5, someone one of my peers dealt with before and he thought he would put a bit of business his way, I didn't speak to this dealer directly.  As you say no more new 18's left so the price will no doubt rise again

• 2 weeks later...