New value for money GasGas

the dabster

19 hours ago, the dabster said:

I don't need to do a survey my personal experience illustrates things perfectly.  I buy an 18 racing for £6399 in july, go to upgrade this week and told by a dealer my trade value is £3500 due to the fact the importer has discounted his remaining stock of brand new 18 models to circa 5K. Dealer says why would I give you any more, I can't sell it because the importer has undermined the market!  Look at the disparity in the figures that has created. The amount of discount he is offering to get rid of stock has proportionally impacted the figure I can reasonably expect to achieve as a trade in. It's simple economics or as the experts define it, the science of self interest!

Basic mistake DONOT BUY a (17) 18 two months before 19s come out.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 9:05 AM, the dabster said:

Agreed but that's not what I'm talking about. I saying over and above the element you allude to GasGas have undermined the customers ability to get a proportionate return value (relative to other brands) when the new models come out because of this action.  Is this not the bread and butter of all the dealers that are trying to sell their wares, come the release of new models people purchasing them and cascading the trade ins through the market to those that don't want the outlay of a new bike etc.  

Dealers are also stung in the tail, their used stock overnight just lost a lot of money...GG that is?

Edited by section swept
Added content
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, the dabster said:

You are spot on with your observations on both counts.  I don't want to get caught up in a slagging match, It is a greenlight for unscrupulous dealers and the rot has been started by the importer that's all I'm saying.  Don't want to go any further now and personalise it but do feel the need to say something about dealers because I have inadvertently identified one specifically.  My local dealer is not involved and for the avoidance of confusion has always been very straight forward and fair.  I have spoken to BVM about a deal and would commend them to anyone. Lawrence was very honest and possibly more than fair in his price given the fact he would have to sell the trade in, IMHO he is someone the buying public could have absolute confidence in. It has been just one dealer that lowballed and they will remain anonymous.  Others will use it and who can blame them.  The percentage lost on goods bought new is reasonably predictable but when the gross figure of a new unit changes at the end of the production year then the deficit created has to be sucked up by someone and its hardly fair it's the customer.

Seem to remember someone selling SWM’s from the back of a lorry even outdoing the dealer bit.

17 hours ago, faussy said:

It definitely hasn't! Bikes never depreciated over 20% by just sitting in the showroom for a year!

If a Dealer has had a bike sitting in their showroom for a year its not commercial sense for it to still be there, unless the Dealer has no stocking plan. If an article is purchased the cost of buying, interest on the money invested in that purchase and any profit must be accounted for way before a 12 month period. I know interest rates of return are poor now but that article if not sold in the first 3 months would see me making every effort to get shot ‘pdq’. Like wise with a bike if it aint moving in 3 months it is going out either trade or at a greatly reduced offer price probably with extras....after 6 months a new model will be announced by the manufacturer so sharp on your toes is the order of the day. 

Me thinks Gas Gas has made our importer an offer to clear out stock before any Brexit embargo gets in the way of our lucrative market!

18 hours ago, the dabster said:

I know all about residual loss chris the last three cars I sold were Porsche 911's.  We are not talking percentages of loss or depreciation we are talking about an importer making a commercial move that ****s on everyone that ensured gasgas stayed in business in 2018 by buying their product, in order to bail himself out.  No other importer has done this to my knowledge.  Why would I buy gasgas again if I stand to lose more money when it comes to upgrade to the next year model in contrast to the other makes?

Fair point.  The importer must make a decision about what generates the best revenue.  If enough people are annoyed by the discount on the previous model then presumably they will not buy the up to date one (or buy the last year "bargain").  In time sales will drop or the dealers will only ever sell the "old" model at the knock down prices.

As I understand it GasGas have had a lot of financial issues so that could be the deciding factor.  The model they are following is the same as mountain bikes - the new year model immediately sees a big discount in old stock.  If you are too rubbish (like me) to notice the difference and want - for example - a Scott Genius it pays to wait until next year's one and buy the old one.  I think a fair few people do that, but there are enough "must have the latest" rich kids about that the new model is bought and the year old bike is on eBay (and like the OP the losses are rather unpleasant).  The prices of a top end mountain bike are the same or more than a trials bike.

I have an old nail that is near to or at it's terminal/scrap value.  The missus needs a bike and I would like to upgrade mine.  The market seems to be new or newish bikes round the four grand or more mark and stuff like my Beta at one to two grand that has seen it's best days.  I can only assume that the mid range stuff is owned and ridden until it fits the old nail category.  It seems that "keeping up to date" is expensive so thanks to everyone for their contribution to the thread.  Sorry to the OP - I would be annoyed too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, section swept said:

If a Dealer has had a bike sitting in their showroom for a year its not commercial sense for it to still be there, unless the Dealer has no stocking plan. If an article is purchased the cost of buying, interest on the money invested in that purchase and any profit must be accounted for way before a 12 month period. I know interest rates of return are poor now but that article if not sold in the first 3 months would see me making every effort to get shot ‘pdq’. Like wise with a bike if it aint moving in 3 months it is going out either trade or at a greatly reduced offer price probably with extras....after 6 months a new model will be announced by the manufacturer so sharp on your toes is the order of the day. 

Me thinks Gas Gas has made our importer an offer to clear out stock before any Brexit embargo gets in the way of our lucrative market!

not out of the realms of possibility.

2 hours ago, section swept said:

KTM did exactly the same the week before Xmas in Dec 2018

Lobbed £1500 to £2000 off the RRP, off their MX and Enduro bikes 

Dealers had no prior warning and customers who bought in Nov were livid as their new Bike had dropped £3k 

GasGas typically offers a big discount on outgoing models around here if they're still around when the next model year gets released. This shouldn't be a big surprise for anyone, all vehicle manufacturers do it to move inventory. 

A few riders down here recently switched over to Montesa as the offer was, I believe, about £5600 on interest free credit for a new bike.

Montesas have always been the expensive end of bike sales so this move certainly gained a few customers down here and what's the difference between a 2017,2018 or 2019 Montesa anyway !

Yep the dealers are moving out the 2018 Montesas here as well - but no 2019 are being brought in (as far as I can tell) - not sure what that is going to do for resale if Honda stop selling them in North American dealers...

ad.JPG

Edited by michael_t

11 minutes ago, michael_t said:

Yep the dealers are moving out the 2018 Montesas here as well - but no 2019 are being brought in (as far as I can tell) - not sure what that is going to do for resale if Honda stop selling them in North American dealers...

I spoke to Cascade Motorsports, the former Canadian Montesa distributor. Honda Canada is transferring all the present stock of 2018 4RT bikes to him to sell. They haven't decided on a plan for 2019 forward though.

Feel for those who are thinking of moving on their 18 models,but anyone wanting a brand new bike could be interested.Theres not enough technical differences between 18 and 19 to warrant the extra money.Wonder if the situation will repeat itself when the 20 models are available?