ST chain length?

Slowdirty

I seem to have found that the half link in the chain is there to ensure that the chain is of optimum length when the bike is new - is that correct? When replacing the chain can a normal 520 with only whole links be used without any issues?

I have also noted that the Sherco parts fiches have gone from their website - As every dealer I have found links to these we don't seem to have access anymore - or am I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers

Possibly, it has been known for people to use a half link to keep the wheelbase short.  There's an easy way to find out - see how much slack there is if you align the chain as if the half link either was not there or was a full link - tie the links together with wire for this static experiment.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I find my bikes do need the half link to fit correctly and have never had a problem sourcing chain from a sherco dealer with the the half link pre-riveted into the loop. If you wish to omit the 1/2 link and your chainring is worn you could always resize by one tooth in either direction