montesa 311 kill switch wiring

Bikewimp

Hi, I need to fit a kill switch to this model but don't want to just short a random wire to earth until I get confirmation from someone.

The stator has four wires going to the CDI unit as a group in one connector. These are Light blue, Blue, White, Black.

The CDI then has two other wires in one connector.  Green - To coil.  White - Not connected but I hope its the kill switch wire?

There is also a green/yellow earth wire from CDI to the coil earth.

Can anyone tell me which wire or wires are connected to their kill switch please?

Hope someone can help, Cheers.

The green/yellow wire that goes to earth would be my bet as the kill switch will be wired to provide an earth until activated...no earth= now electrical power. But I’m sure someone will correct me or suggest that you use the white which might just be a power supply. Use a DVM with the engine running to check?‍?

Hi, So your thinking is by breaking the earth circuit I can kill the ignition. That may work but the earth wire has a ring connector on it and is fixed to the coil mounting so that is unlikely to be the standard method. I believe the common way to wire a kill switch is to simply short the low tension coil feed to earth. The coil is a normal one, not one with circuitry built in, so will probably be 3 or 5 ohms only. I am just wary of shorting anything in case I blow the CDI and would prefer if someone could tell me the correct original method. 

There is very little info on the internet for the 311 1992 montesa. It seems to be different from other models and was maybe a stop gap before the honda engine ones appeared?

Thanks for your reply. Cheers. 

4 minutes ago, Bikewimp said:

Hi, I just spoke to Bradford Ignitions in the UK. He has confirmed that the White from the CDI is the kill switch wire and just needs a kill button to earth. 

Hope this info is of use to others.

Cheers.

See Thats what I said would happen.

• 2 weeks later...