Swing arm bearings

diesel2607

Hi

I have a 2012 evo and after a trial today I noticed I have a fair bit of play in the swing arm if I lift the rear wheel it goes up about half an inch to an inch on would say and clunks 

Do you think this would be solved by changing the swing arm bearings 

I am grateful for any advice 

Thats wheel lift and sounds more like suspension linkage wear. Swing arm play is side to side and if you had an inch play you would be wobbling about alot. Get someone to do the moving while you have a good look....its what most of us would be doing....sounds harsh but not meant to be??

8 minutes ago, section swept said:

Thats wheel lift and sounds more like suspension linkage wear. Swing arm play is side to side and if you had an inch play you would be wobbling about alot. Get someone to do the moving while you have a good look....its what most of us would be doing....sounds harsh but not meant to be??

It is definitely up and down movement it seems pretty solid side to side what would I need to replace if it's suspension linkage ware 

15 minutes ago, oni nou said:

A lot of play comes from the lower shock bearing normally followed by wear in the dog bones and knuckle joint .....change all those and it will tighten it all up although you will still have a little play....not a cheap job even if you do it yourself ...which is easy.

Thanks I am sure it is the dog bones and suspension knuckle how is best to go about getting the swing arm off i will order the bearings and try and do the job myself about £70 for the bearings i have seen 

I own a 2012 300 4T and went through the same thing when I bought it last summer.

If you have the bike on a stand and get someone to gently move the rear wheel up and down while you closely inspect the linkage you may find the play is in the delta link/pivot. A millimeter play there seems to translate to 10mm at the wheel. The bolt holes aren't bushed so nothing to replace other than the pivot. When I had the pivot removed I discussed bushing the bolt holes with an engineer friend of mine to reduce the tolerance to a minimum. It is possible but I needed to refit the pivot to ride the bike that weekend and I've not bothered since. New original ones are available as is a copy by CSP for around £90.

I replaced all the swingarm and linkage bearings, top hats and seals including bottom shock bearing that come in the kit. They were all a little rusty but there wasn't play in any of these parts so this didn't help the rear wheel movement.

Yours may be in other parts, just sharing what I found...

Got most of the bearings changed today just the one on the delta link to do i can't get the bearings out of here they must be seized in my vice is not man enough to push them out and I don't have a press any ideas on what I could try just these last ones to change 

Cheers 

15 hours ago, huski said:

Have you tried heating it up?You can get a ton of pressure with a vice,never had to use a press yet after getting the part hot enough you have to use gloves

Might try heat will but I broke my vice trying yesterday is it a big vice you use mine is only a cheap small one and wasn't up for the double bearing in the delta link 

You need a proper engineering workshop vice,mine has 4" wide jaws and opens about 5".Ive had it a good 30 years and it's still fine.Its worth paying out for a good one ,made by Record .Theres some on an auction website at the mo