Pre Mix Fuel - Does Age Matter?

yammafan

After a year away from riding I'm finally getting back out on the bike tomorrow. Problem is I have two fuel cans with petrol which has been mixed with 2 stroke oil, but they've been sat for approximately 12 months. Will it still be fine to use with my Beta 250?

I made the mistake of having only diesel cars and we are in a drought so the lawnmower doesn't use enough to get rid of the old premix so I give it to a friend who has a petrol car. We have great petrol here in Australia compared to the horror stories I hear from the USA and the UK, but I still avoid using anything over a month old in my trials bikes.

You will soon find out if the fuel is too old or not when you go for a ride. I value my riding time highly enough that I don't want to risk having any bike problems when I'm out for a ride.

For the relatively low cost of using fresh fuel, it's an easy decision. Good petrol here is about $AU1.50 per litre

• Like 3

I run avgas in my Sherco after having to replace the fuel tank due to ethanol related swelling & it's far better as far as shelf life goes, I had a year or so away from trials & the bike ran fine on the old fuel well shaken up. i wouldn't have even thought about using the leftovers if the fuel was pump gas

• 7 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/31/2019 at 9:58 PM, austin6728 said:

Anyone use a fuel additive to prolong the shelf life and is it ok to then use in a modern trials bike ?

I've not heard of anyone using that sort of additive to bowser petrol/pump gas but there are plenty of trials people using a long-life fuel called "Aspen" which is available from lawnmower/chainsaw shops. It suits people who have to store their bikes for extended periods. I haven't tried Aspen myself but have read plenty of things on these forums about it. Sounds like it is readily available in countries that have cold winters.

• Like 1

What we have here in Canada ( Aspen like ) is either 50:1 premix or 4 stroke fuel. I've been using the premix in all the equipment ( 4 str and 2 str )  for many years. I empty the fuel tank  run the motor until it starve, put enough in the tank to run the motor for a few minutes and shut it down. When it's time to restart the equipment, I just add fresh fuel and go. Never had any problem since I go that way.

Guy

PS. : It's sadly nearly time to do it in my bikes, the weatherman is calling for snow in the next 2 week.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 5:58 AM, austin6728 said:

Anyone use a fuel additive to prolong the shelf life and is it ok to then use in a modern trials bike ?

There are some fuel stabilizers/additives available here in the US that are suppose to help in prolonging shelf life for fuel.  They are often used in small engine applications for winter storage and many people say they work fine.  

I personally feel they do help in storage of trials bikes but are best if you can mix in fresh fuel with it as soon as possible.  I ride my bike nearly year round but my wife and Daughters bikes are stored for around 2 to 3 months depending on weather so often use it in them.  Haven't had any issues but do a few things to help them the best I can.  

1. Add the stabilizer

2. Fill the tank as close to the top as possible

3. Drain the floats empty if its going to sit for longer than 1 month

4. When running the bike for the first time after storage I add fresh fuel as soon as 1/4-1/2 tank used up. I try to get a good long practice run on both of there bikes first chance I can to use up at least a minimum of 1/2 to 3/4 of the stabilized fuel up.  

Here is a video showing the results of someone testing them for possible damage with ethinol and he runs the fuel in a lawn mower post test.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, guy53 said:

What we have here in Canada ( Aspen like ) is either 50:1 premix or 4 stroke fuel. I've been using the premix in all the equipment ( 4 str and 2 str )  for many years. I empty the fuel tank  run the motor until it starve, put enough in the tank to run the motor for a few minutes and shut it down. When it's time to restart the equipment, I just add fresh fuel and go. Never had any problem since I go that way.

Guy

PS. : It's sadly nearly time to do it in my bikes, the weatherman is calling for snow in the next 2 week.

Thanks Guy for the info i've managed to source ASPEN over here so going to give is a try seems like a good product  to use in all my 2 stroke engines when storing for any length of time

Cheers, Austin

11 hours ago, b40rt said:

Why wouldn't anyone just drain tank and carb for long term storage ?

Absolutely, its usually easy on a bike. Strimmers and chainsaws aren't easy to do that on, the Aspen fuel has a 5 year shelf life. The fumes from Aspen are much less harmful too,Network rail are allowed to use it for pertol engined whacker plates in railway tunnels,which the HSE had previously stopped them from doing.

Shame the Aspen isn't a bit cheaper...

• Like 1