Cota 49

baurespdx

Hello everyone, I recently added a cota 49 to my stash of Montesa’s. Does anyone on here have one and could send me some photos of their bike so I can figure out where some of the frame brackets go and other parts. The bike came in a box and I am trying to repiece it together. Thanks! 

I'm sorry I don't have anything other than lots pictures from the internet that you probably already have.

I do though  have a Fura 50 and a Cota 50 in bits waiting for me to get round to fixing. 

I have the JLO / ILO three speed engine on both bikes although one is badged as Montesa.

If there is anything specific you wanted to know please do ask.

• Thanks 1

Big Shiney Bike. Thanks 

The Cota49 motor is based on the JLO/ILO G50 Piano. My son (baures PDX) and I split the case and it looks like the top end and clutch need a redo! 

Any good sources of parts for the G50? 

Also any technical info on the engine would be appreciated. 

Thanks.  

• 2 months later...

On 2/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, bigshineybike said:

I'm sorry I don't have anything other than lots pictures from the internet that you probably already have.

I do though  have a Fura 50 and a Cota 50 in bits waiting for me to get round to fixing. 

I have the JLO / ILO three speed engine on both bikes although one is badged as Montesa.

If there is anything specific you wanted to know please do ask.

If you could explain the kick mechanism. 

Gracias. 

• 1 month later...

As much as I know the basic principle is that the bike is supposed to be ridden like a bicycle.The assembly in your picture when assembled properly (mine is a sealed unit that doesn't come apart) should allow the pedals to be locked in place while the engine runs.

the pedals have a locking device that lets both pedals fold around so they are not 180 degrees apart.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not sure if I understand that myself.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:00 PM, bigshineybike said:

As much as I know the basic principle is that the bike is supposed to be ridden like a bicycle.The assembly in your picture when assembled properly (mine is a sealed unit that doesn't come apart) should allow the pedals to be locked in place while the engine runs.

the pedals have a locking device that lets both pedals fold around so they are not 180 degrees apart.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not sure if I understand that myself.

Thank you. All of that makes sense. We are hopefully done with the engine and plan on putting it on frame soon. Our fingers are crossed. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Our Cota49 leaks oil from the clutch actuating pin’s passage on the left side of engine. There seems to be 2 slots on one of the pins that looks as if there ought to be 2 Orings. Any idea on what we can do to stop the oil leak? Not sure if Orings are specified.

Thank you. 

4C7D6A2B-7013-47F8-AB55-15DCE89A296A.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi fellows. Still haven’t got around to addressing this issue. We did hear from a Montesa fan in Spain that actually drilled out the passage’s diameter to allow the O-ringed mini shaft to fit in. 

The passage is a hair above 5mm and not too sure if there is a way to ream the passage and maintain a smooth round surface so O-rings will glide as mini shaft moves laterally. 

Any ideas?

thank you.