2007 Rev 3 270 Steering Stem Play

Caferacerman

Hi Guys, 

I am new to the Trials world and recently bought a "like new" 2007 Rev 3 from a guy on the internet...yeah, yeah, I know but I have had great luck in the past...and have been going through it to right as many wrongs as I can before the snow melts.  Coming from the Enduro/Hare Scramble world, I always adjusted the steering stem so the bars would automatically fall to one side or the other but on this bike, the bars will not turn without a constant push. Before I pull the front end apart, I thought I would check to see if the stiff turning is an adjustment preferred by Trials guys?

Thanks in advance - 

I'd recommend taking apart and checking the bearings aren't rusty.

You're right that the bars should automatically fall on their own when bike is on a stand and adjustment is correct so if the stem has no play and steering is still stiff most likely due to some issue with the bearings.

Good luck with the Rev and welcome to the world of trials riding. They're great bikes, perfect choice for someone getting into the sport ?

• Like 1

Couple of things with Beta steering bearings. Because of the aluminum frame they tend to take longer to seat so often owners will crank down on the retaining ring to get rid of the front end clunk that develops. This is usually a short term thing as the bearings eventually seat after a few small adjustments and time on the bike. The other thing that is a problem is the top triple clamp before 2018 has no pinch bolt on the steering stem. On every Rev3/EVO I owned before the 2018 the top triple clamp stem hole was machined just a few thousandths too big. I'm sure it made for easier assembly but it also introduced a clunk in the front end that took me months to find. By tightening down the nut above the top clamp the clunk will go away for a short bit but it will return and eventually you can strip the threads on the steering stem. The best solution is to shim the hole but it's a bit of a pain to find the proper material. I used to use Teflon pipe tape wrapped around the stem and trapped between the top clamp and nut. It would stay for about a year before getting compressed and having to be redone. On the last bike I had with this issue I got some brass shim stock and made a thin sleeve to shim the steering stem. That's held for several years now..

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 2