How far are your forks through the yolks?

retromlc

I can't find the setting in manual, my bike tends to want to tuck the front in downhill turns, i know betas have a tendency to tuck the front, mine are 10mm ATM,but watching a Beta set up video they seem to have theirs about 7mm any suggestions to make the front better as it feels like i have to physically push back on the bars as I can feel the front wanting to turn in to tuck

Could be too much preload on the rear. The front and rear suspensions need to work together and if they are unbalanced the geometry will change in unpredictable ways as the bike responds to terrain and input.

The other thing that makes the front seem to be pushing is bad technique. You steer a trials bike with your feet. By that I mean pressure on the pegs and bending your knees to stay centered. Most riders especially ones coming from enduro bikes have the bad habit of keeping their legs too straight. To compensate they twist their torso and throw their ass to the side. This is a very weak position as there is no way to compensate for variations in speed caused by the terrain. Beta's are especially unforgiving of this. They also reward good technique with being able to turn inside almost any other brand. If you can ride a figure eight on a hillside and stop and balance at any point in the figure eight you are doing it correct. If you find yourself constantly dabbing on the inside of a turn you are riding with your legs too straight. The best way to demonstrate it is to stand on an incline perpendicular to the fall line (facing across the slope). The natural stance is to bend the uphill leg and straighten the downhill leg with your weight evenly distributed. This is exactly what your stance should be on a trials bike during a turn. Shoulders level and weight centered over the line between the contact patches of the tires. As you lean the bike the inside leg/arm straightens and the outside leg/arm bends so the body position doesn't change. That's critical. No leaning into the turn because as soon as you dip a shoulder you're in a much weaker position. Try the same standing on a slope experiment and straighten your legs and pay attention to how you have to rotate your torso and counter balance with your butt. Have a friend knock you off balance in both positions and you'll see how much stronger you are in the proper stance. 

It takes practice to make it habit but once you start to get the feel of staying centered you'll be able to turn that thing like it's on rails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1