Have I missed something ?

cub200

I'm a few miles away so I don't always catch the up to date news so be gentle with me,,,,,,, Where is James Dabill in this seasons X Trial championship, is he injured, retired from it, or just had enough and will he be riding the WTC ??

Look forward to a response

Galps

He didn't perform well enough last season to get into this season as a permanent rider, and he hasn't been invited as an event rider. The rules for selection are rather convoluted, but:

There will be nine (9) Riders at each Event who will be selected by the Promoter and approved by the FIM as follows:

Permanent (championship) riders:

For the Championship:

1. The FIM X-Trial World Champion of the previous year, (Bou)

2. One of the top 5 Riders of the FIM X-Trial or TrialGP World Championship of the previous year. (Raga)

3. A Rider from the FIM X-Trial or TrialGP World Championship of the previous year and of a nationality different from the one (s) above. (Bincaz)

4. A Rider from the FIM X-Trial or TrialGP World Championship of the previous year and of a nationality other than the one (s) represented above. (Gelabert)

5. A Rider of the FIM X-Trial or TrialGP World Championship of the previous year, under 25 years old. (Busto)

With the exception of the World Champion, the FIM/Promoter reserve the right not to select a Rider who is entered for the entire Championship if the Rider is not among the six top placed Riders in the provisional standings of the current year.

Event riders:

For each Event:

All the Riders will be selected at least one month before each Event.

6. For the first Event, a Rider not selected fort he entire Championship,then for each of the remaining Events, the best ranked Rider of the previous Event who is not one of those selected for the entire Championship.

7. 1 Rider of a different Nationality from those represented above. At the exception of Rider N°6

8. 1 Rider under 25 years old.

9. 1 Wild Card Rider If a Rider declines an offer to participate, is injured, is unable to participate or no longer meets the Selection criteria, a replacement Rider will be selected by the Promoter and approved by the FIM.

Event riders who have made appearances have been Peace, Sondre Haga, Gabrielli Marcelli, etc. i.e. Dabill hasn't been invited under the Event Rider provisions aside form I think the first round, and he hasn't done well enough under provision 6. to keep coming back.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

If X trial does not change it`s rules it may not exist much longer after last nights boring event.

Bou 7

Busto 23

That is not much excitement. They will need to start paying Bou more money to look as bad as the normal riders!

At least in a four man format, it could be a fight for second.

• Like 1

Note the wording: "one (s) represented above", as in the one or ones above. The one above in Bincaz. Clearly they've applied it as such, he's a permanent rider. It's also all somewhat irrelevant because the promotor has a large say in who turns up, and as relates to the original question, no one is really interested in Dabill because his results haven't been worth noting indoors.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, lineaway said:

If X trial does not change it`s rules it may not exist much longer after last nights boring event.

Bou 7

Busto 23

That is not much excitement. They will need to start paying Bou more money to look as bad as the normal riders!

At least in a four man format, it could be a fight for second.

They should probably combine the current 'consolation final' and the actual final into a single round. Just decide the whole podium in one shot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, heffergm said:

Note the wording: "one (s) represented above", as in the one or ones above. The one above in Bincaz. Clearly they've applied it as such, he's a permanent rider. It's also all somewhat irrelevant because the promotor has a large say in who turns up, and as relates to the original question, no one is really interested in Dabill because his results haven't been worth noting indoors.

The addition of the plural in brackets, seems to make it less clear. Maybe that is the intention. 6 of 9 riders were Spanish in last round. 4 of 5 Permanent (Championship) riders Spanish. They are the best riders, but sure doesn't make for much variety. I know he doesn't like to travel, but Pat Smage could probably do well with the X-Trial rules.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the replies guys, event selection looks highly complicated.

To be honest the same old type of sections event after event is starting to get boring and I've said it before, someone is going to get seriously hurt eventually, its happened to Mr Bou twice recently.

Do the people who support these circus style events really think it helps sell bikes.... !!!????

My point was that all the best indoor riders are GP level riders without exception.

Mateo Grattarola is a now T2 rider, former GP rider, who's ridden indoors before. By most accounts he would be a good bit more advanced than Pat, and he's never made much of an impact indoors. 

Several ridiculously talented T2 riders have recently ridden indoor (Peace, Aniol Gelabert, Haga) and gotten smoked. Again, all respect to Pat, but I don't see it happening. 

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, heffergm said:

My point was that all the best indoor riders are GP level riders without exception.

Mateo Grattarola is a now T2 rider, former GP rider, who's ridden indoors before. By most accounts he would be a good bit more advanced than Pat, and he's never made much of an impact indoors. 

Several ridiculously talented T2 riders have recently ridden indoor (Peace, Aniol Gelabert, Haga) and gotten smoked. Again, all respect to Pat, but I don't see it happening. 

More just a rhetorical musing, than anything. I don't see it happening either.

Surely they've violated rule no6 and 7 considering Dabill wasn't invited back for the second round yet Fuji was, even though dabill beat him in round 1

Unless Dabill refused

Then in round 3 petrella was invited back but fuji wasn't, even though fuji beat him in round 2.

Marcelli was invited in round 3, and as he's spanish, haga was the under 21 and petrella the different nationality, the only way he can be invited is via the wildcard, so that means he was wildcarded above dabill, fuji and casales

On 2/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, heffergm said:

no one is really interested in Dabill because his results haven't been worth noting indoors.

So who's interested in Haga then? I know he's under 25, but they may aswell give him last place before he takes the bike off the trailer. Seriously, theres lots of under 25s better than him!!!!!

How on earth can you wangle petrella, haga, marcelli and aniol into the starting lineup without dabill, fuji, casales, price, grattarola, martyn, jack peace, or moret or even gandola? It stinks ?

Edited by faussy

1 hour ago, heffergm said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a byproduct of the continent taking revenge for Brexit...

LOL! Since the British did not invent indoor trials and the Spanish did....

Easy to say, but why not extend the day.... Afternoon "X-Trial 2" class event and top 3 riders qualify for next X-Trial event on the calendar. Then you could rotate 3 new riders into the next X-Trial 2 event. Stretch out the X-Trial field to 15 riders... 8 permanent, 4 event riders, and the 3 X-Trial 2 qualified, from the previous event. If they perform better than the event riders, they are the event riders at the next round. This might be better than one young Trial2 level rider, being the 25 point sacrificial lamb at each round... 

More room for top riders and more room for up and comers, with a way to pick the best young riders to take a shot at the top class and not humiliate themselves.