adults future of the sport ?

on it

Was at a trial today and the topic of youth trials and training came up, My feeling is to much effort is put into the youth riders  training days half price enterys etc .Theres  source of riders  the new adults are just forgot about, its all about the youth and  before you say "we need the youth for the future of the sport" .Think on this if they are youths now,  how long before they can do the running of clubs and trials ? What we need is people  NOW  not in 10-15years time  so is the youth really the future of the sport or is it the new adult riders ? and how long will adults be happy to off set the cost of someones child adults £15 youth £5

Edited by on it
add

The youth has never been the future. It takes money for any motorsports. The club riders are the one`s that carry any event. The only good thing about youths, they are the future Champions. Not the bread and butter that pays the bills. You need to get the parent`s riding if they are not already. Most of the youth`s that will become future clubriders ( members) come from trials families in the first place.

• Like 2

Actually I don’t think the sport does enough to attract youngsters. Of course there will be a massive dropout rate and problems with cost and parental commitment, but every kid bouncing around on a scooter, skateboard or bmx is a potential trials rider. Somehow the sport needs to be put in front of them, to try to draw more in.

Nor do we do enough to attract new adult riders. Most people don’t even know trials exist.Unfortunately it demands more of the hard-pressed club committee members.

23 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Actually I don’t think the sport does enough to attract youngsters. Of course there will be a massive dropout rate and problems with cost and parental commitment, but every kid bouncing around on a scooter, skateboard or bmx is a potential trials rider. Somehow the sport needs to be put in front of them, to try to draw more in.

Nor do we do enough to attract new adult riders. Most people don’t even know trials exist.Unfortunately it demands more of the hard-pressed club committee members.

most people are on the  internet  and its out there  but if people dont bother to look they wont find it 

I know I could never have afforded to do this when I was a youth - I saved all my money from a part time job to buy a moped (TY50 - wish I'd kept it!) to use as transport (and making lots of noise around the neighbourhood!) but a full sized bike for sport was out of the question. I think if parents are willing/able to spend some money on their children then that's great and very lucky for them, but even at the very basic level I am at, it's a significant cost to run a bike etc. which is why I can only do it now I am in my 50s. As has also been said, it seems that the events are mostly run by the more mature members - hopefully if enough "old" chaps like me find our way back into bikes after family life through trials, then the clubs will remain popular.

The reason for cheaper entries is clubs graciously helping out families. We all know the cost of buying and mainting a bike, then triple it with two kids riding. It makes a big difference to some people if kids only pay a fiver to ride. This covers the insurance.

The future of trials is in riders whether they be 10 or 50. I would say keeping a supply of new observers is equally important to the future.

8 minutes ago, on it said:

we all pay the same to maintain a bike and fuel , if riders boycott a club because of this the clubs are the first to complain about low entrys 

What sort of miserable turd would boycott a club because of cheap youth entries?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, al_orange said:

What sort of miserable turd would boycott a club because of cheap youth entries?? 

well how about someone that has no kids or there adults  , over 60  on a fixed income  has there own bills to pay ? 

1 minute ago, on it said:

well how about someone that has no kids or there adults  , over 60  on a fixed income  has there own bills to pay ? 

So what would boycotting the club achieve? If it's £15 for an adult entry either way, what difference does it make? If the club is increasing the adult cost to pay for the kids then that could be difficult but otherwise, what's the difference? 

Just now, al_orange said:

So what would boycotting the club achieve? If it's £15 for an adult entry either way, what difference does it make? If the club is increasing the adult cost to pay for the kids then that could be difficult but otherwise, what's the difference? 

well is it or would it be £10 everyone ?  only a £5 but if you ride 45 trials a year soon adds up

Entry cost was never increased to subsidise kids or penalise those without .It was reduced here for youths for reasons above. All it means is the club covers the insurance and make no profit on youth entries. All our clubs welcome it and welcome new adults too. The kids conducted trials are run by parents so no hassle to the organisers and any training is open to anyone. 

As for training courses take a look at how popular Richmond’s trial school is. All run by parents and the clubs top riders who do it for the love of it. 

Suppose I could leave the kids at home to go sit on street corners or take them somewhere else and they’d lose my entry fee too.

13 hours ago, on it said:

well is it or would it be £10 everyone ?  only a £5 but if you ride 45 trials a year soon adds up

Are you Scottish by any chance?

All trials are subsidised to a massive degree. At our club no one takes expenses even though they've spent a day laying out and a day off work which is likely quite common in the trials world. At the Wobblers food ,toilets, stationary, markers you name it just appears  thanks to the goodwill of members and I imagine most clubs have members like these.

Anyone questioning an entry fee should really consider what the true cost of an entry would be if we didn't all band together and help out.

Be interesting to do the sums and work out what a commercial operation would need to charge for an entry, I would hazard about £40.    

• Like 4