Boot Dryers

trapezeartist

Does anyone here use a boot dryer? Which type is recommended?

My research has found 2 basic types, with many variations:

1. Heated inserts. Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Core-Shoe-Boot-Dryer-Electric-Warmer-Heater-Disinfectant-Dryer-Black-Yellow/123470431372?hash=item1cbf69448c:m:m9LtIC_3vRWyqVThh9RMuDg. This is the cheaper and lower power consumption solution (about 20w) but works at a higher temperature. These are generally shown with trainers in the photos. The wire sticking out the back of the heel may be more difficult down in the depths of trials boots.
  2. Blown air, like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Folding-Timing-Electric-Shoe-Boot-Dryer-Heater-Warmer-Home-UK/202510022400?hash=item2f2689b700:g:4KgAAOSwq2xb9TY5. More expensive and uses a lot more power (about 200w) but the air is only about 40deg. These too are usually demonstrated with shoes so the air outlet goes right to the toe. On trials boots I think it would only reach to the heel.

Hello M.  

I bought one of these about a year ago.  Works well enough.  Has a built-in timer too.

However, the first time I used it the fan came loose on the shaft.  Couldn't be bothered to return it, so I fixed it myself.

Also, it has a wall mounting plate, which unclips far too easily, so I will fix that too at some point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Electric-Shoes-Heater-Dryer-Disinfectant-Boot-Hot-Air-Warmer-Clean-Wet-New/273719537350?hash=item3fbaf4aec6:g:nQcAAOSwAzxb8op~:rk:24:pf:0

9 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

You must have an even worse sense of smell than I do. Unfortunately SWMBO’s olfactory faculties are pretty sharp.

Thats why 99% of the time they are placed next to the boiler which is in a utility room. That being said, in the near proximity to any heat source i usually find my boots dry after a couple of days. Is this to get your boots dry for sunday from riding saturday?

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:26 AM, faussy said:

Thats why 99% of the time they are placed next to the boiler which is in a utility room. That being said, in the near proximity to any heat source i usually find my boots dry after a couple of days. Is this to get your boots dry for sunday from riding saturday?

Buy 2 pairs of boots.  Simples.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:26 AM, faussy said:

No. Just so I can dry them in the garage and not have to stink out the utility room.

• 4 weeks later...

I now have a fan heater in the garage so I tried laying the boots on their side so the hot air blew into them. In 2 hours my slightly wet boots were acceptably dry. Another hour should make them perfect. Almost certainly as good as pukka boot dryers, and withe advantage of heating the garage too.

• 1 month later...