2 bikes in a L2 Transit with bulk head??

NAD1

Currently have a LWB Vito Dualiner and can get 2 bike in easily by rolling the rear seat forward.

Am looking at a L2 (think that's Fords name for LWB) Transit but they have a bulkhead and the load length is a bit shorter than the length of a trials bike. Assume they would probably go in with front wheel turned etc but before I look any further thought I'd check - does anyone on here use a L2 transit with a bulkhead and gets 2 (or more) bikes in? 
If so, how? angled bars, cut a gap in bulkhead etc etc?

TIA
Nick

I think my old Transit Van was an L2, and I got two bikes in there, as well as the side racking.  Remember these vans were designed to take a 4x8 foot building panel, hence the name 'Panel Van'.

Do you mean a double cab Transit Custom?

If so whilst I haven't ever tried it, I've read that someone can get two enduros in one with the bulkhead removed, which would suggest that two trials bikes should fit even with the bulkhead in place.

I'm thinking of buying one at the moment and looked at an L2 at a dealers today. The bulkhead is actually curved in at the bottom which might help and the sales guy, who actually knew what a Sherco trials bike was, reckoned two would fit. The bulkhead looks to be easily removed if necessary and the seats could also be removed as there's only eight bolts holding them in place. Although they're pretty heavy by all accounts. 

If you try, or buy, one please report back?

Are we talking Transit proper, or smaller Transit Connect ??. I 've got an L1 H1 SWB Transit Custom, with a bulkhead & can get 4 trials bikes in it with ease. Same for MX.

Very different story if you are talking Transit Connect. If its the Connect, then you need to go for the LWB High roof. (Previous model best option. Current model has quite a low roof). My son has an 08 LWB High roof Transit Connect with aftermarket bulkhead,  & gets 2 trials bikes in it with ease. MX,  Enduro, not as easy. Only 1 MX will go in without much bother.

SWB  Transit Connect SWB Low roof harder work. IMO. You do see them at events though. Loading up Small vans have the problem of Jammed fingers, bars whacking the roof, poor access, etc, etc. You can get a trials bike in most small vans, but it can be a bit of a chore.    

On 3/5/2019 at 7:25 PM, lebowski said:

Do you mean a double cab Transit Custom?

If so whilst I haven't ever tried it, I've read that someone can get two enduros in one with the bulkhead removed, which would suggest that two trials bikes should fit even with the bulkhead in place.

I'm thinking of buying one at the moment and looked at an L2 at a dealers today. The bulkhead is actually curved in at the bottom which might help and the sales guy, who actually knew what a Sherco trials bike was, reckoned two would fit. The bulkhead looks to be easily removed if necessary and the seats could also be removed as there's only eight bolts holding them in place. Although they're pretty heavy by all accounts. 

If you try, or buy, one please report back?

Hi,

Yes a double cab transit (5 seats) with bulkhead in.

Looking at the lengths of bike and load length in Transit suggests it is just too short to get them in straight, however assume with wheel angled slightly would be ok.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:45 AM, pjw123 said:

Are we talking Transit proper, or smaller Transit Connect ??. I 've got an L1 H1 SWB Transit Custom, with a bulkhead & can get 4 trials bikes in it with ease. Same for MX.

Very different story if you are talking Transit Connect. If its the Connect, then you need to go for the LWB High roof. (Previous model best option. Current model has quite a low roof). My son has an 08 LWB High roof Transit Connect with aftermarket bulkhead,  & gets 2 trials bikes in it with ease. MX,  Enduro, not as easy. Only 1 MX will go in without much bother.

SWB  Transit Connect SWB Low roof harder work. IMO. You do see them at events though. Loading up Small vans have the problem of Jammed fingers, bars whacking the roof, poor access, etc, etc. You can get a trials bike in most small vans, but it can be a bit of a chore.    

proper transit but double cab (5 seats) with bulkhead

2 hours ago, haysy said:

Cloburns used to have a L2 Custom DCIV and it carried 3 bikes. Back wheels against the bulkhead and front wheels turned.

Perfect. thats what I needed. cheers, appreciate it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...