2007 Rev 3 270 Wheels...Now what?

Caferacerman

12 hours ago, thall1 said:

just removed the front tyre on a 2014 evo, it was tubed, as it should be but there was corrosion ....

As the front is tubed there is the possibility for water to get into the tyre without a deflation.  The water would then sit there until some reason to remove the tyre.  I would imagine this is a corrosion point and one for most bikes.

There are some very good modern paints that would address the issue.  Assuming the rim is not toast!  It would need to be very bad corrosion for s structural failure.  This has made me think it is perhaps worth taking off the front tyre and checking the rim maybe once a year so you can put a lick of paint/enamel on it.  But - I have to be honest - I am lazy and will forget  ?

9 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

As the front is tubed there is the possibility for water to get into the tyre without a deflation.  The water would then sit there until some reason to remove the tyre.  I would imagine this is a corrosion point and one for most bikes.

There are some very good modern paints that would address the issue.  Assuming the rim is not toast!  It would need to be very bad corrosion for s structural failure.  This has made me think it is perhaps worth taking off the front tyre and checking the rim maybe once a year so you can put a lick of paint/enamel on it.  But - I have to be honest - I am lazy and will forget  ?

After a wet trial / washing, position the valve at lowest point, inflate to 30 psi. Most of the water will be forced out. 

18 hours ago, markparrish said:

Put some tape over the spokes and fit new tube to front. I've given up the fight with my similar rear wheel - just fitted tube with new tyre (tubeless tyre) - no clamp - seems to be seated really well (after quite a battle to avoid nipping the tube when fitting tyre) and hasn't rotated on rim yet!.

As above

All the trials rims seem to corrode, I use duct tape on the front rim

Edited by suzuki250
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it is helpful, I have just measured the Rev 3 against my new TRS and the spokes seem more or less the same length and i think therefore you could fit a Jitsie rim to the Beta hub.  This is the newer rim designed for tubeless.  An expensive solution but a good upgrade if the original rims are totally U/S.  You would have to be very fond of the old Beta to spend like that.  Very cool looking gold rims though!

• Thanks 1