2016 Evo 4T

Robbo1955

How long between washing and “no spark”. My 4T would never start immediately after washing, presumably due to water on the electrics. I would just spray everything (except the brakes!) with WD40 and put the bike away. By the time I wanted to start it again a few days later, it would.

In the normal position the fuel solenoid only passes fuel when the engine is running. That’s why it has the second position, to fill the carb with a dead engine.

I couldn't find an obvious single thread to your problem looking at the wiring schematic.  But given it seemed to happen immediately upon washing it, I'd simply pull apart connectors and spray some contact cleaner in them to dry them out, and also check your grounds.  Also, there are a number of places where several wires are twisted together.  One could have come loose from the bundle.  Look anywhere for a loose wire.   Has to be something fairly straightforward, but it may be a bear to find.

The plug cap has filled with water on ours sometimes. We just removed the cap and spray with wd40...as mentioned earlier you won't get fuel unless it's running or the solenoid is in the 'manual' position. 

• Like 1

At least on the 2016, there is a bracket holding a group of connectors right on top of the carb.  (seen if you remove the fender)   These are not  very tight connections.  Twice after changing jetting, I have had issues.  Once the fan did not work and once the fuel solenoid did not work.  I probably bumped the connectors when pulling the carb but upon inspection they appeared to be making good contact but in fact were not.  Reseating the connectors was the cure. Since not very secure, they could be suspect for water contamination.    

• Like 1

After washing and before spraying with a WD40/GT70 style spray I suggests you blow the 'hidden' water off the bike with a suitable compressed air line. You will be surprised how much there is. It lies in the plastics' joints and all round the engine area, electrics and leads.

A small paint spray type compressor should be enough.

Wear safety glasses when doing it.

Edited by micm