TY80 Kick Idler Shaft snapped

Rake

Hi All, how disappointed is my 9 year old kid. we picked up a TY80 today only to find that the idler gear shaft for the kickstart is snapped and the gear and part of the shaft just fell out.

he was in tears and me almost.

Now I find that the part is NLA !!

Can anyone aassist with any kind of fix possible or is this engine now 53734545_776856082688807_6982943913589866496_n.thumb.jpg.5e6167a4a9f63829de60c879156df5cb.jpgdone for ?

Thanks in advance.

Rake

Looking at Partzilla will give you an idea of what other motors use the same shaft which will help broaden your search results

Not really that familiar with what years the TY80 were made but as an example here is the shaft for A & B models & all the other motors that used it.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/353-15660-01-00?ref=077d15c56588db1d2f2f320eb31147ca11f4a5bc

There a couple of brand new shafts using this part number listed on eBay from Canada & the US. They may be the correct part for your bike

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Kick-Axle-Assy-Part-353-15660-01-00/153391188038?hash=item23b6d3c846:g:kN4AAOSwdIpcSPqF

Thanks Tony but that isn’t the correct part, the broken shaft is the idler gear shaft and I can’t even find the correct part number as it doesn’t appear on any of the parts lists I have found

Wow thank you Tony that looks like its the one. I did find a bottom end for sale for £150 that has it fitted already but that is an old one where these are new and not subject to any wear.

Time to decide whether or not the new shaft or take the old bottom end.

28 minutes ago, Cheneycol said:

I just replaced mine as exactly the same had happened.  Ended up getting a NOS part from Germany.

I found one in the USA and also a used one in the UK. Was it difficult to replace ? I know the crank case needs to be split

18 hours ago, Rake said:

I found one in the USA and also a used one in the UK. Was it difficult to replace ? I know the crank case needs to be split

Straight forward.  Careful if you have to hit anything with a mallet.  I replaced the main bearings and seals at the same time for piece of mind.  Worth checking the kickstart gear for damage and maybe move it round a bit so it engages on different teeth.