Gearing - who's running what?

al_orange

Really enjoying the handling of the TRS 250 RR. Has lifted my confidence and is flattering to ride, in the main. However, it's very snappy off the bottom (as expected), even with a slow throttle. I'm running a 9T front which does make the gears more like my old Beta but it's very aggressive in low traction situations (seems harder to get traction than my Rev3 was) so I wonder if anyone would suggest running the standard 10T? I had a look at other TRS bikes and some are on 9T some are on 10T. 

I'm just starting to ride clubman sections, if that matters. I know there's a lot of variables at play but would like input on just the gearing side of things. Thanks,

36 minutes ago, lineaway said:

My son actually has a 42T coming today. We are trying it for a whole other reason. To bring 2nd gear down just a touch for splatters. 

Lol.. well I'm trying to avoid the unintentional splatters so I'll leave that one alone. 

I did think going to 10/42 could be a compromise but I don't know if the chain is long enough. 

Gas gas used to advise not to run a 9t sprocket with a 520 Chain as it's too tight a corner for the chain so you have high wear and lose power. Std gearing is 10/40 but if you went 10/44 thats pretty much the same gearing.

I find first too low on my 280 and second a little high. On my 17 I ran 10/38 as an experiment and liked it, so next set of chain and sprockets i went 11/42. most sections were then done in first and that suits me for rocky streams which is predominantly what I ride.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Anyone had a chance to figure out if the smaller spline on the 18 & up RRs is the same as any other existing spline? Not seeing anything after market except "DOES NOT fit 18 & up RRs". Would like to try an 11 front/bigger rear for different ratios & longer chain/sprocket life.

No one is going to make an 11. An 11 and 44 is the same as stock. Quit worrying about sprocket wear, unless you are riding it to work. I have ridden with a 9 on both gasser`s and Beta`s for years. (There is no reason to put a 9 on a TRS.) Quite a range from 41 to 48 easily available for the rear. being stock gearing is a little fast.

• Like 1

Just tried 10/42 at the weekend and I liked it, but it was on an old stretched chain can't fit that gearing on a new chain you have to end up using 1/2 links and I don't like doing that. So I'm settling on 10/41, slow action throttle, LC head insert and Carbon Tech reeds ?

On 7/1/2019 at 7:31 PM, anachronism said:

Anyone had a chance to figure out if the smaller spline on the 18 & up RRs is the same as any other existing spline? Not seeing anything after market except "DOES NOT fit 18 & up RRs". Would like to try an 11 front/bigger rear for different ratios & longer chain/sprocket life.

This is what you want

This was supplied to me by me local TRS dealer so I presume it's correct not fitted it yet ?

image1.jpeg

Edited by taff_d