Haven't bikes changed over the years! I should have listened

Haggis1138

I ran a 200 for many years and I would say it is better than a 125 as it has more bottom end so you don't get that lag followed by a surge of acceleration when you open the throttle from low revs.  This can be avoided by using the 125 technique of slipping the clutch (or weighing 9 stone) of course but you'll have enough to learn without adding that in.

Normally I don't agree with extreme tweaking to change a bike but, as you already have the 300, then you may as well try the inexpensive mods.  Why a fast twistgrip is standard is beyond me as most average riders need to change them, or should but are too vain to do so.  As said above you will find any bike a bit of a struggle at first after being away so long.

22 hours ago, Haggis1138 said:

I'm going to change out the throttle for a slow action one and use it in slush mode for a few rides before I make a decision. I was going for a 250 but this one arrived at what I thought was a good price . (only a couple of hundred over the price of the 2009 Scorpa I was going to buy so had to go and get it) 

Maybe why it was cheaper, scared the previous owner. I think this can work to your advantage though. There is no substitute for displacement for sheer grunt. 

And it’s much easier to get right than this #%*+~#% Win10 computer I’ve been trying to sort out all week!?

Edited by dan williams

1 hour ago, pindie said:

I can honestly say the black so throttle has transformed my 300. It’s far easier to manage at awkward moments. 

What made you buy a 300? You're normally so particular/considered about things, I'm surprised you went for it. 

A rush of blood to the head! 

I was thinking 20cc can’t be that different but on the white throttle I was struggling. Each ride ended up needing new bike parts and me new body parts. It was like I’d never ridden a bike before. I was trying things and not getting the reaction I requested. It went hay wire. A very different thing on the black throttle. Far smoother and predictable. 

Im surprised at how much more subtle and easy to ride (and lighter) the Ossa was than the Evo is. I am enjoying the Evo now though and you can buy parts if/when you do break it. 

Edited by pindie
  • Like 1

It's all relative of course. These modern things might be fast action, but they're not quick action.  I once saw, and maybe even rode (it's too far back to recall), a trials bike with the old Amal Quick Action twistgrip - nothing to full throttle in a quarter turn. Cam must have been about two inches diameter. Just the job for road racing.

I got out this afternoon to try the Evo 300 with slow black throttle (from white fast tube) and 10/42 gearing (from 11/41).

What a massive difference! I’ve been able to ride everything normally and no accidents, flips or unwanted pain/chaos. 

It’s now a keeper! I certainly don’t need the angry map. 1st is really controllable and slow. 3rd is great when you need punch/spurt to blast up something. 

Happy days. 

• Like 1

That’s what I found. I was soon blasting up ledges twice the size of what I was finding impossible with the wrong throttle and gearing. Just great fun. No scary things.  All feels under control now too. 

• 7 months later...