Haven't bikes changed over the years! I should have listened

Haggis1138

The last time I rode a trials bike it was in 1978. It was my late brothers Montesa Cota 248 if I remember rightly. I was 16 at the time. Oh the power compared to my Honda SS50 5 speed. 

Roll forward 40 years I decide I would like to have a go at trials. 

Ask for advice on here and get advised to buy maybe a 200 to 250 2 stroke or a 250 four stroke bike as they will do everything a novice wants and more.

So what do I do? I purchase a Beta 300 Evo 2015. Collected it. got it home. Washed it. Admired it. Well today I decided to take it to my workshop that has a bit of waste ground adjacent to it and have a ride. 

Piece of p*** me thinks. 

Oh how wrong can a guy be.... ???

2 circuits over some extremely moderate lumpy bits took about 5 minutes and 99% of the energy out of my arms.  Not to mention frightened me ****less with the power. It has a MAP setting button and I had it set on soft for mud. I am scared to try the other setting now. 

What have I let myself in for?

Anyone wanna swap me for a 125 :-)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Give it another 5 minutes - you'll love it! I had that arm problem - I eventually realised that I was gripping the bars too tightly (hanging on more like!) but once you relax a bit and hold it lightly it all gets better. I still find myself doing it if a section is a bit daunting and I'm nervous. Good luck!

• Like 2

I got an Evo 300 after an Ossa TR280i. I didn’t realise how good the Ossa was until I tried the Evo. 

I then discovered it was jetted super lean and with a white (fast) throttle tube and wrong gearing (11/41). After making some tweaks it’s a whole nicer. Not done gearing yet but that’ll be 10/42. I’ve moved the needle clip to 4 from 3.

Might be worth checking some of these points on yours?

Edited by pindie

5 minutes ago, pindie said:

I’ll swap a 300 for it! 

I got an Evo 300 after an Ossa TR280i. I didn’t realise how good the Ossa was until I tried the Evo. 

I then discovered it was jetted super lean and with a white (fast) throttle tube and wrong gearing (11/41). After making some tweaks it’s a whole nicer. 

Might be worth checking some of these points on the 125?

Confused dot com.......I dont have a 125

Evening and for what's its worth..... 

Get rid and buy (or swap) it for a Beta Rev 3/Evo 200, best modern clubman trials bike you can buy in my opinion. I have owned and ridden quite a few different bikes and the 200 is the perfect compromise between grunt and ease of use

If you are Senor Bou or Mr Dabill you can tame a 300 but for most of us weekend warriors they are way too much. I constantly hear the "macho" types talking about power.......when Fujigas attempts a 4 metre rock step he probably needs a big engine but for the average club rider/section it's about throttle control and finding grip.

Like a lot of things in life in not how much you have but how you use it. Whichever way you go have fun! 

Hang on there, bread slowly look at the bike and make the adjustment that feel right for you and find a place to practice where you can ride until you are confortable. If the bike still scared you after say 4 or 5 hours of practice, than rethink your options.

Guy 

If you do decide to get rid then a 125 would be a good way to go if you can't find a 200. I have had a Sherco and a Gas Gas, they were both nice bikes and very easy to ride. 

I don't think it's just coincidence that there seems to be a lot of 300cc trials bikes for sale on eBay etc. 

Edited by scatman

Same here. I bought the 300 thinking it’d be similar to the ossa. Nope. 

Its definitely better now I’ve softened it but I know I’ll be looking for another 200 in the  background. I’ll try and get a ride on a 125 also. I’m after improving my riding skills/technique not just putting about. That won’t happen on a bike you don’t feel at one with.

I am happy to leave 300s to the more skilled big boys.  

Edited by pindie

Do the math to figure out what it'll cost to swap vs change parts. I'll not debate the 200. It's a great bike and you'll really enjoy It if you get one but the 300 can be tamed without losing the best part of the power. On my 300s I've swapped the gearing by going to a 10 tooth front sprocket on earlier bikes or up two teeth on the rear for the 2018 (has a 10 front stock). Installed a low compression head to soften power and make kicking easier. Installed carbon fiber reeds (VForce V351C or V351B with medium reeds) which smooths out the bottom and makes it grunt like an old Bultaco. 

Only the pros really need the hyper hit of the stock 300s. Us mere mortals can enjoy them with mods but even the pros who've ridden my bikes with the mods say they're really good and they'd like them only a little sharper for big hits.

In any case understand that the first time out on any modern trials bike is intimidating no matter who you are and it takes time for your body to adjust to the stance and the reactions necessary. Happens every winter in New England when we come out of hibernation. We always look forward and dread the first rides after the snow melts. 

And we really do understand a 300 has a very high pucker factor. The GasGas pros are even sharper!

Stick with it though and welcome back.

• Like 1

I'm going to change out the throttle for a slow action one and use it in slush mode for a few rides before I make a decision. I was going for a 250 but this one arrived at what I thought was a good price . (only a couple of hundred over the price of the 2009 Scorpa I was going to buy so had to go and get it)