TY 175 front exhaust pipe

trialsrfun

I am thinking of making a new front exhaust pipe for a Yamaha TY 175 but have variously read that lengthening/shortening the front pipe on a TY 175 brings about a performance improvement but which is right longer or shorter, what difference would either option give?

Generally the longer the header the more evenly a two stroke motor will fire at low RPM. On 325 Bultacos this is quite important and a longer header makes them smoother, but then again so does packing the muffler properly or fitting a reed valve.

On a TY175 the low RPM running is ridiculously smooth and even already. Having said that I recently fitted a long header to my 210cc TY175 in conjunction with the tyoffroad one-piece exhaust and it feels even stronger at low and mid RPM than with the standard type exhaust and it revs out better too. All I really wanted was the weight savings with the new exhaust so the way it runs is a bonus, but it may not be just due to the long header because the new exhaust is quite different in internal design to the Yamaha exhaust

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Generally the longer the header the more evenly a two stroke motor will fire at low RPM. On 325 Bultacos this is quite important and a longer header makes them smoother, but then again so does packing the muffler properly or fitting a reed valve.

On a TY175 the low RPM running is ridiculously smooth and even already. Having said that I recently fitted a long header to my 210cc TY175 in conjunction with the tyoffroad one-piece exhaust and it feels even stronger at low and mid RPM than with the standard type exhaust and it revs out better too. All I really wanted was the weight savings with the new exhaust so the way it runs is a bonus, but it may not be just due to the long header because the new exhaust is quite different in internal design to the Yamaha exhaust

Thank you feetup, I have found a long exhaust pipe and silencer set up essential for good performance with the Villiers engines.Plan is for a Kato type pipe for the TY 175.

4 hours ago, trialsrfun said:

I like the look of the tyoffroad system you have on your bike feetup, did the Yamaha heat shield fit easily to it.

The Yamaha heat shield fitted after straightening the curve and elongating two of the holes. Since I bought mine the design has changed so the nuts might not be in the same place as mine