Sherpa Kickstart

monty349

Back in the day my Sherpa 198A had what I believed to be an aftermarket one piece kick start lever that swivelled from the bottom rather than the top, it also hugged the cylinder head closer than the original type. From what I remember it had Bultaco stamped on it

Does anyone know who made it ? and if they are still available?

Well, a contact of a friend  has had 50 of these replica kickstarts made, in fact we were speaking on the phone today, however is just awaiting the final piece, which is holding the project back. if all goes to plan they could be ready shortly,,  there is no price yet , none the less they were not cheap to manufacteur . I will keep  you informed of the progress and where in the Uk you can buy them from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently did an excerise of getting this type of Kickstart remanufactured.

I contacted a well know UK based small batch engineering company, whose work has impressed me over the years. But unfortunatley whatever way I did the maths it was never going to come in less than £160 plus p&p. Considering that the original "new" one is retailed for less £80 plus p&p, I felt is would not be worthwhile to proceed with the project.

Edited by model80

Thats interesting as its around that price the guy I know,  has paid to get his manaufactured. I know trials riders are  known to be tight, but if you want one they will be around that price.  The problem we all know a man who knows a man who can do it, sadly like a lot of things it never gets done.  The guy is looking into where he can get the hardened washer made, that sits, if I understand correctly just above the knuckle. He tells me its the same as a Beta one. He spoke to the Beta trade stand last weekend at the French motocycle show in Lyon to see if they would be up for supplying just this piece awaiting a reply  . We are looking therefore a second hand Beta kickstart to rob the washer and get it remade in the correct material. Then et volia it should be ready to go. Any help to get the show on the road would be apprciated.

Cheers

• Like 2

Model 80 - 

£160 + p&p is exactly the price that someone paid earlier this week to win an eBay UK auction for a used prop. stand for a Model 199..........

After seeing that, I'd say anything's possible !

Edited by lorenzo
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2019 at 6:11 PM, metisse said:

Well, a contact of a friend  has had 50 of these replica kickstarts made, in fact we were speaking on the phone today, however is just awaiting the final piece, which is holding the project back. if all goes to plan they could be ready shortly,,  there is no price yet , none the less they were not cheap to manufacteur . I will keep  you informed of the progress and where in the Uk you can buy them from.

Please include me in as interested in one of the kickstarts.

I always liked the kick start lever the works bikes used at one time - the bit the foot contacted was a bar that slid in and out of an eye at the top of the lever. Very simple and no pivot to go sloppy and no fancy washers.  I'm sure these could be replicated at a more economical price?  i think a fin was machined to allow it to be housed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 11:34 PM, lorenzo said:

Model 80 - 

£160 + p&p is exactly the price that someone paid earlier this week to win an eBay UK auction for a used prop. stand for a Model 199..........

After seeing that, I'd say anything's possible !

More money than sense I'd say. I know a chap in the Midlands making brand new 199A & 199B Side Stand for half that price. He'll also do one in Stainless Steel for a few bob more.

But what has "used prop stand" got to do with a discussion about a kick start lever?

5 hours ago, model80 said:

But what has "used prop stand" got to do with a discussion about a kick start lever?

In terms of function on the machine, little or nothing............

However, you may have forgotten saying in you earlier post :-

On 3/20/2019 at 9:36 AM, model80 said:

I recently did an excerise of getting this type of Kickstart remanufactured.

I contacted a well know UK based small batch engineering company, whose work has impressed me over the years. But unfortunatley whatever way I did the maths it was never going to come in less than £160 plus p&p. Considering that the original "new" one is retailed for less £80 plus p&p, I felt is would not be worthwhile to proceed with the project.

suggesting that no one would be prepared to pay such a price  (for a brand new, super duper kickstart lever, even).

The "used prop stand" reference possibly proves otherwise, I felt..............

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

The type with the sliding bar shown by MikeS300 could be easily made by modifying a standard kickstart lever, but it doesn't move the top end of the lever out of the way of your shin any better than the standard lever. I feel that a lever that swivels at the bottom (like a Beta lever) would provide better leg clearance.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MikeS300 said:

Did this ever happen ?

As stated earlier by bullylover -

On 3/22/2019 at 12:36 AM, bullylover said:

These are the kickstarts used on the Tiron. M 73. I think they might have been used on a couple of the other early Bultacos as well.

As an aside, I'd be interested to find out when water cooling and hydraulic clutch operation happened........

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The type with the sliding bar shown by MikeS300 could be easily made by modifying a standard kickstart lever, but it doesn't move the top end of the lever out of the way of your shin any better than the standard lever. I feel that a lever that swivels at the bottom (like a Beta lever) would provide better leg clearance.

I don’t see how without that forging on the top end. It’s not just drilling a hole.