1999 Txt 200 Bad clutch drag

crashpotato

So. There is a Problem with my "new" gasser. The clutch won't properly, if at all, disengage. Even when warm. If I pull the clutch in and open the throttle I feel a little bit of slipping but it still almost accelerates as if the clutch was out. I changed the oil recently to some (inexpensive) 10w30 mineral engine oil but there was no change. The adjustment screw on the lever is adjusted to the max but it just won't disengage. Would be very glad if somebody was able to help me with that. ?

If its hydraulic make sure there isn’t air in the system or a bad cylinder

Could be a heavily worn clutch basket or swollen clutch plates. Best bet is to strip it down and have a look what’s happening inside

You would probably be better using ATF fluid not 10w30  

Edited by suzuki250

Okay thank you. I'll have a look at the basket soon. How can I tell if they are swollen? Is that very obvious or are there some measurements to check? I'll bleed the hydraulics one more time but did that very recently. I'll have a look at some atf. I'm just unsure whether it's OK because I heard some people not recommending it for the pre pro models. 

46 minutes ago, suzuki250 said:

Might be worth checking out?

I've always used ATF

Okay I'll try to get my hands on some. Will take a look at the clutch plates and change the oil while at it. Hope that helps and I won't need new plates?

3 hours ago, crashpotato said:

But shouldn't it slip all the time if there wasn't? Or can this cause drag too? 

The slack at the lever allows the piston in the master cylinder to pass the ports, this gets fluid into the system. When next you pull the clutch the clutch plates open further reducing the drag. This may not be the problem but worth checking. 

• Thanks 1

if you find they are swollen then you can try lapping them down on using 320 or 400 grit wet and dry (dry) on a flat surface. They may well swell again but you can always lap them back down again. I've lapped the same clutch plates a few times over the few years we had a GasGas pro. On later TXT Pro's I think the pack width was 9.75 mm (I think...?) I'm sure someone else can confirm the dimension....if you do lap them down to size and there is still an issue then at least you know its not the clutch plates.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, thall1 said:

if you find they are swollen then you can try lapping them down on using 320 or 400 grit wet and dry (dry) on a flat surface. They may well swell again but you can always lap them back down again. I've lapped the same clutch plates a few times over the few years we had a GasGas pro. On later TXT Pro's I think the pack width was 9.75 mm (I think...?) I'm sure someone else can confirm the dimension....if you do lap them down to size and there is still an issue then at least you know its not the clutch plates.

Thank you. I was not sure if it's okay for the plates to grind them down a bit. Will definitely try that if they are swollen up ?

23 hours ago, lineaway said:

If you just bought this'99 then it is well worth looking at the plates. Most of the original plates, the friction material becones seperated from the steel. New plates may be needed.

Sadly you were right. None of the plates were in a kind of acceptable condition. Going to get some new plates then...

• 6 months later...