Down under and new.

Camionjeep

Hi, Andrew here. Just starting out in trials at the tender age of 56, and with a dodgy right arm. I've previously owned a Honda TL125 which i loved, and stupidly sold in a moment of weakness. Recently got a Montesa Cota 172 project bike to get riding again (been off bikes for 5 years due to a bad accident, not bike, or car), and then bought a basket case Mk111 Montesa Cota 243. I'm going to have lots of questions, but foremost is. How much oil goes in a cota 173? Do you have to lift the engine in the frame to undo the plug? And finally, why did Montesa put the plug in such a stupid place? I sort of get why there is no oil level provision, it's a competition bike, but it would have been nice to be able to check the level before riding it, rather than having to drop the oil, and refill, especially considering the plug location..

Hi Andrew and welcome from another Aussie. You aren't the first person to wonder why things were done some weird way on an old Spanish trials bike. They are like a treasure trove of entertaining design features.

Sorry I can't help with the Cota 172 oil quantity but I'm sure that someone can and owners manuals are available if you are stuck.

About oil level checking, there are not many old spanish trials bikes with that facility and not all of them even have a filler plug.

Thanks nh014 for the correct quantity, it's just something I couldn't find anywhere. I've found a few variants on oils being used in Montesa gearboxes, but not sure which way to go for the old 172. Auto trans fluid, 10/30 engine oil, or dedicated light gear oil? I'm not sure the gear oil will handle the clutch well, but I've had a good run with trans fluid in gear boxes and clutches over the years.  I'm pretty handy mechanically, and have owned and worked on a Bultaco Frontera 360 for over 30 years, so I've got some idea of weird old Spanish bikes. Certainly not swapping brands, the Frontera stays, but adding is always fun, especially learning all the quirks of a new manufacturer. Maybe once I have the Montesa's under control (yes, they've already multiplied), an Ossa would be in order. feetupfun, I was told at the Mt Baw Baw trial in Victoria that I attended last weekend that there is a good source for clutch plates somewhere on the east coast. Do you know who that is? I couldn't remember who it was, but i'm sure the loud screeching noises coming out of the clutch aren't normal, though it doesn't slip. I was told the bike was a resto project when I bought it, and there was no freeplay at the clutch lever, so I'm assuming it was adjusted too tight, and it's ripped the plates up. I should be able to get the clutch cover off this weekend and take a peek. I'm assuming there is no additional adjustment under the cover? Just the setting of the cable free play.

1 hour ago, Camionjeep said:

Thanks nh014 for the correct quantity, it's just something I couldn't find anywhere. I've found a few variants on oils being used in Montesa gearboxes, but not sure which way to go for the old 172. Auto trans fluid, 10/30 engine oil, or dedicated light gear oil? I'm not sure the gear oil will handle the clutch well, but I've had a good run with trans fluid in gear boxes and clutches over the years.  I'm pretty handy mechanically, and have owned and worked on a Bultaco Frontera 360 for over 30 years, so I've got some idea of weird old Spanish bikes. Certainly not swapping brands, the Frontera stays, but adding is always fun, especially learning all the quirks of a new manufacturer. Maybe once I have the Montesa's under control (yes, they've already multiplied), an Ossa would be in order. feetupfun, I was told at the Mt Baw Baw trial in Victoria that I attended last weekend that there is a good source for clutch plates somewhere on the east coast. Do you know who that is? I couldn't remember who it was, but i'm sure the loud screeching noises coming out of the clutch aren't normal, though it doesn't slip. I was told the bike was a resto project when I bought it, and there was no freeplay at the clutch lever, so I'm assuming it was adjusted too tight, and it's ripped the plates up. I should be able to get the clutch cover off this weekend and take a peek. I'm assuming there is no additional adjustment under the cover? Just the setting of the cable free play.

Its fairly normal for 1970s Montesa 247 and 348 clutches to shriek and squeal if the oil is too light. If you want it quiet and smooth you will need something heavier than ATF. I run Castrol VMX80 in my 348 clutch and it is silky and quiet and doesn't drag or slip. No I don't know of anyone selling new, genuine clutch plates for a 123. I'm sure Peter Schoene could get you some. I bought some 1970s Honda CR125 friction plates years ago to try in my 348 but have not got around to it. They will fit the 348 basket but from memory only drive on half the number of tangs. I've not worked on 123s or 172s so don't know if they run different plates to the 200/247/348/349.

As for internal adjustment, there is an adjustment on 247s and 348s that works by choosing from various length brass plungers that bear on the three-legged spider. You could also adjust it by using different thickness gaskets on the clutch cover. Again I don't know what is in a 123.

You can buy reprints of owners manuals from Southwest Montesa in the USA