315 wont tickover

hoggyf

My 315 was running fine a while ago but has been sat for about 6 months due to a house move so when I recently started it up it didn't want to tickover so thought I'd clean the carb, did as I usually do cleaning the jets and put it back together, I noticed from the facebook page that the floats were upside down so turned them so the flats were to the top but it won't flow fuel at all like that and as best as i can measure it the float height is set at 18.5mm (don't have the tool but using a pair of calipers it looks close) so put them curved side up. 

start it up and it will sit happy on choke but take the choke off and it will rev cleanly but as it drops back down to low revs  it hunts and hunts lower and lower then cuts out, doesn't mtter where I set the tickover screw. I turned the tickover screw most of the way in and it sat reving a bit higher than normal but hunting a bit then it started to rev higher and higher and kill switch wouldn't work so panic stall in fourth to shut it off. 

any thoughts??

I understand the floats are incorrect, but weirdly it worked perfectly fine with incorrect floats for the first year of ownership so isn't the cause of the current problem in my opinion unless I'm missing something?? Also the height of the float arm is correct so I'd have to alter that to turn the floats the correct way and surely as long as the correct amount of fuel is in the float bowl it makes no odds in my mind???

now sorted, pilot jet was slightly more gummed up than would first appear, borrowed a mates carb and with that to compare the jet had some hard deposit ,making it smaller than it should be. All running fine now, still with the floats upside down as well lol

Edited by hoggyf
spelling