Bit the bullet

steve0

Ok so finally but the bullet and put a deposit on a 260 this morning.

Been riding a 250T EXC for the last 3 years, mainly greenlaning and a Gasser TXT Pro before that.

Want to carry on with the greenlaning so they are registering it for me, may do some local trials but intend to carry on using Wern Ddu as much as possible, but will be getting the taller seat and number plate fuel tank for a starter.

So what else do I need to look out for and need to add?  I’m not averse to a bit of bling and after reading just about the whole forum think i will get a better sump guard for a start.

Over to you...

C21AF04F-3095-405F-A98D-F0FAF5C5412F.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, steve0 said:

Thanks for all the reply’s.....

Maybe someone can help with this then, just picked up our kids 260 and it’s got this stand on it, anyone any idea what/where from?

FA5B96E5-B6AF-4F23-BD57-F3E558097F1F.jpeg

That's a Mitani kickstand.  I have one on my 07 4RT and love it. 

That one doesn't look adjusted correctly as the foot should come up over the swing arm to prevent it from hanging down where it could get hit.

mont4rt_sidestand.jpg

19 hours ago, steve0 said:

FA5B96E5-B6AF-4F23-BD57-F3E558097F1F.jpeg

Another suggestion from the image above. You're at the end of snail cam adjustment, and from looking at the tensioner, you may need another notch (but can't tell for sure).

No need to remove a link. There's another set of threaded snail cam stop screw holes aft of the current stop. It's under the cam now, but if you loosen things up and rotate the cam you'll see it. Move the stop screws, and you'll get back to the low end of the cam.

That's a real bonus getting the Mitani sidestand. Much better than stock.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 5:59 AM, steve0 said:

Thanks great advice, will the slightly longer wheelbase have any tangible effect?

I find longer wheel base will provide better grip in slick conditions and on rough ground.  It dose change rear wheel hop timing a touch but I don't think most people would notice that much, and technically would make a bike turn a bit slower however again not sure how many people would really notice that.  

My 2 cents/experience.  Hope it helps.  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, b40rt said:

Better grip. 

I always thought shorter wheel base gave better grip as moved weight to the back - longer wheel base gave stability and kept front end down and hence the 52" or so compromise on the majority of trials bikes over the years.

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

I always thought shorter wheel base gave better grip as moved weight to the back - longer wheel base gave stability and kept front end down and hence the 52" or so compromise on the majority of trials bikes over the years.

Moving the wheel back, without doing anything else, will make the suspension slightly softer. In my experience, longer wheelbase improves grip. (Look at hill climb bikes)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...