Its only been 32 years since I last tried it.

wastegate

HI. Live just outside Milton Keynes and joined the local club again after a temporary break of 32 years. Never gave up bikes though, quite the opposite. 

Went and watched a trial at Great Brickhill a week or so ago and thought it looked a lovely way to spend a day out. Now got myself a Beta Evo 250 2T 2011 which I am currently working through trying to get as good as I can before giving it a go on the local club ground just to get a bit fitter  and have fun doing it , as I last did all those years ago.

But who knows, one day I might try a proper trial to see just how many points it is possible to amass :D

Keith

I’ll raise you: 47 years (and didn’t throw my leg over a bike for 45 of them!).

Wastegate, you’ll soon find that competing (I use the word very loosely in my own case) is much more fun than pottering around on a practice day. And you’ll learn much more too.

Cheers guys. Sadly I was already in my late 20's when I first tried it! However I may try and get out in a local trials day later in the year as it did look just a nice day out meeting lots of friendly people. I went to take a look at the local club ground straight after and people seemed just as nice then.

I just need to get the bike sorted and some way of lugging it about other then taking out the wheels and putting it in the back of the car .... somewhat beyond me if on my own.

Taking the wheels off for transport is not a practical option. I think you have 3 choices:

1. Put a towbar are on your car and get a Dave Cooper bike rack to carry the bike slung across the rear. Personally I think there are issues with this, but a number of people do it.
  2. Put a towbar on your car and get a trailer. You can find new or secondhand, tatty or s****y, very easily depending on your budget. There are versions which quickly dismantle if you are tight for storage space at home.
  3. Beg, borrow or buy a van. If you have a need of a second vehicle in your family, I think this is the best solution (I have a Citroen Berlingo with the back seats removed.)

On 3/25/2019 at 11:50 PM, trapezeartist said:

Taking the wheels off for transport is not a practical option. I think you have 3 choices:

1. Put a towbar are on your car and get a Dave Cooper bike rack to carry the bike slung across the rear. Personally I think there are issues with this, but a number of people do it.
  2. Put a towbar on your car and get a trailer. You can find new or secondhand, tatty or s****y, very easily depending on your budget. There are versions which quickly dismantle if you are tight for storage space at home.
  3. Beg, borrow or buy a van. If you have a need of a second vehicle in your family, I think this is the best solution (I have a Citroen Berlingo with the back seats removed.)

You are so right. Went to the local trials ground today and had my first go on the bike. Loved it and the ease of simply unlocking the gates and riding .. apart from my wife and I lifting the bike in/out/in/out the back of the car. However I didn't want to lash out lots of money ( and have my car electrics fiddles about with ) until I was sure it ran reasonably OK and that I could actually ride it, as carrying some old injuries. All seems OK, so arranging a tow bar to be fitted asap and looking for an old but good trailer. Would love one that dismantles as a bike trailer sitting in the front garden is a bit of a givaway .. but they do seem expensive. Cheers