TXT 250 1998 not starting

Tom_H123

Hi, my bike won’t start after replacing the woodruff key due it previously shearing, I’m not 100% sure if it’s sticking out enough to slot into the flywheel snuggly, I have a strong spark and fuel supply is fine, cleaned the carb as well just to make sure. Occasionally get a back fire as well.

what would be the next step to take? I’m thinking CDI may have gone at the same time the woodruff key went but not entirely sure and would be massively coincindental... all help is appreciated. Thanks

will upload a pic of woodruff key tomorrow for you all to see.

You may have flooded it badly...I did the same to an early txt pro 200... Shut off the fuel and disconnect the fuel line just in case the tap doesn't shut off fully. There will be some fuel in the carb so kick it over a few times without the plug in... Put the plug back in and kick it over again a few more times... If the plug is wet then the crank is full of fuel... Remove the plug and keep kicking it until the plug stays dry... Then reconnect the fuel and see what happens...

13 hours ago, TomMk2RS said:

Hi Tom,

sorry I can't help you, I have a beta evo that I suspect may have sheared the woodruff key, what were your symptoms that led you to believe t was your woodruff key?

I was riding and it just backfired, cut out and wouldn’t fire up again but still had a spark and backfired every few kicks.

12 hours ago, thall1 said:

You may have flooded it badly...I did the same to an early txt pro 200... Shut off the fuel and disconnect the fuel line just in case the tap doesn't shut off fully. There will be some fuel in the carb so kick it over a few times without the plug in... Put the plug back in and kick it over again a few more times... If the plug is wet then the crank is full of fuel... Remove the plug and keep kicking it until the plug stays dry... Then reconnect the fuel and see what happens...

Will try this later, thank you

39 minutes ago, Tom_H123 said:

I was riding and it just backfired, cut out and wouldn’t fire up again but still had a spark and backfired every few kicks.

Will try this later, thank you

Very similar to my symptoms, I suspect this is my issue

9 minutes ago, TomMk2RS said:

Very similar to my symptoms, I suspect this is my issue

Take flywheel cover off and get the flywheel nut off, you’ll have to stop the engine from spinning round if you’re using a spanner, if you have access to an impact driver then you can just bang it on and hold the flywheel still if it turns at all. You’ll need a special tool to get the flywheel off though.