Log book and engine nos dont match

Carl Brown

Hi can anyone help I have recently bought a supposed  factory 300 sherco 2015 . On the log book it says the engine no is SH25029994 , but on the engine it is SH30029994 . Also the cylinder head is black which when looking at other factory bikes they are blue or gold . It also has 4600 on the cylinder head . I think the factory engine might of been taken out and  a 300 standard has been put in . Does any one know about these ? Thanks .

I fitted a new engine to a Suzuki many years ago.  If you send the V5 back the DVLA change the engine number for you free of charge, so it is not a very big problem.  The engine numbers in the OP are odd, in that the first three digits look very much like CC.  If so then the bike was a 250 which has had a 300 engine fitted later.  I don't know enough about the bikes to say if the engine is a "factory" edition or not.  I would think the importers could quickly find out.

The engine number and the V5 should match - this is a sign that something has been altered.  If the engine had been legitimately changed at some point the V5 should have been changed to show the new engine number.

I suggest that the OP uses the DVLA system to check the registration number of the bike.  It should show the bike's details and that it is SORN (I assume it is), but it will give you the engine CC and taxation class.  If it shows as a 250 then you will have solved the mystery, but not what to do about it.

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Edited by ChrisCH

1 hour ago, ChrisCH said:

I fitted a new engine to a Suzuki many years ago.  If you send the V5 back the DVLA change the engine number for you free of charge, so it is not a very big problem.  The engine numbers in the OP are odd, in that the first three digits look very much like CC.  If so then the bike was a 250 which has had a 300 engine fitted later.  I don't know enough about the bikes to say if the engine is a "factory" edition or not.  I would think the importers could quickly find out.

The engine number and the V5 should match - this is a sign that something has been altered.  If the engine had been legitimately changed at some point the V5 should have been changed to show the new engine number.

I suggest that the OP uses the DVLA system to check the registration number of the bike.  It should show the bike's details and that it is SORN (I assume it is), but it will give you the engine CC and taxation class.  If it shows as a 250 then you will have solved the mystery, but not what to do about it.

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Thanks for that , just done it and its come back as a 250 . Which isnt whats in it .

16 minutes ago, faussy said:

I find it rather odd that the last 5 numbers are identical. These should be different regardless of capacity. No two engines should have this same number.

Possibilities could be a complete engine change by the dealer with a request to retain engine numbers (which can be possible i think), but then why the change in capacity. Or a mistake in quoting the bikes engine number

Regarding the head, that is a regularly changed part so you can't form much basis from that alone.

Its really strange , there is definatley something untoward  going on . Going to get intouch with main dealer tomorrow and see what they say .

25 minutes ago, Carl Brown said:

Its really strange , there is definatley something untoward  going on . Going to get intouch with main dealer tomorrow and see what they say .

The bloke I bought it off (a dealer) said he has been in-touch with sherco  ( this was last Thursday) and they said it was a 250 . But it was pointed out to me on Sunday at Cowm quarry that the front engine bolt was working loose and the engine nos state its a 300 . Also the carb isnt one that comes on a factory bike . I know this is all confusing , but this is why Ive asked . My head is up my axxe with it all .

If I was in your shoes carl I wouldn't hesitate , just take it back to the seller (dealer) and get your money back !! sounds like trouble and a can of worms !! someone is having somebody's pants down along the line here . If your new to the game you want something wots right from the off .

Anything Sherco related, I would contact Malcolm Rathmell Sport on 01423 772885 as they would have been the original importers and will have a record of it from new. I contacted them regarding my 2001 Sherco 200 and they had all the original records about the bike and couldn't have been more helpful.