Having problems after replacing woodruff key

Tom_H123

My woodruff key sheared a couple weeks back and I put a fresh one in a couple days ago, Tried to start it and it wasn’t having any of it, checked fuel supply and spark and they were both fine... cleaned the carb just in case. It very occasionally backfires when kicking it over. I can’t think what it is. I’m not sure what I’m looking for when it comes to the stator (good or bad) but I presume it’s okay as I have nice strong blue spark. I’ve got some pics so you can tell me if there’s anything wrong, cheers4DC6F9D3-F86A-4F1E-B116-95380B657B4D.thumb.jpeg.366b2402dc4ee9ef49fa454c0480045a.jpeg0A2535C5-3854-4F44-A03A-8AA5580A3EE9.thumb.jpeg.fcfa5472802d7a377c85db818653772b.jpegFCB86A59-3927-4957-8E7C-4C4668C98883.thumb.jpeg.95b335e899b20bc442851ea6d3d37357.jpeg8DBBD462-1DA8-4C37-9AE7-E8907A71FCE3.thumb.jpeg.61ee2486c49a911b3bc6f062b27c6e62.jpegAB4625A1-2BA7-4A53-BB13-226C260EBF4A.thumb.jpeg.b9752e5eaa84f9632d8860cb23ed0ee7.jpeg

Did you mark it before removal,if you removed it cos that looks like it's on fully retarded,which will fire after .Try central position then move either way if it runs.

Edited by Bilko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bilko said:

Did you mark it before removal,if you removed it cos that looks like it's on fully retarded,which will fire after .Try central position then move either way if it runs.

I haven’t moved the stator plate from where it was previously but I will try this anyway, I’m losing hope fairly quickly, everything else that the engine needs to run is there but it’s just not firing up, been tinkering for a couple of days trying to resolve the issue ?

Edited by Tom_H123

Is there a 'timing" hole in the flywheel?

2nd picture looks like there is a hole in the upper portion of the stator plate that a rod could fit into if there was a corresponding hole in the flywheel, in order to time the ignition.

I may be wrong.

Did the key locate in the slot of the flywheel properly it does not seem to protrude very much and there appears to be a bit of damage to your crankshaft end as if something did not fit.

Also I would agree the timing looks to be fully in one direction, not what I would expect to see as a factory setting it's as if someone has tried to soften the engine with the timing.

5 hours ago, collyolly said:

Did the key locate in the slot of the flywheel properly it does not seem to protrude very much and there appears to be a bit of damage to your crankshaft end as if something did not fit.

Also I would agree the timing looks to be fully in one direction, not what I would expect to see as a factory setting it's as if someone has tried to soften the engine with the timing.

It seemed to locate properly yes, I’m taking the bike to a local engineer who’s sons ride professionally as he’s only a mile away and also a friend of my step fathers

3 hours ago, wuckfitracing said:

I replaced a woodruff key last week, it stuck out a lot higher than that, are you sure its the correct size.

I was wondering if it was sticking out high enough...

1 hour ago, huski said:

Why did it shear the key originally?

I haven’t got a clue, what sort of things cause a key to shear?

2 hours ago, huski said:

Why did it shear the key originally?

Actually I do know why, it’s because the previous owner was a cowboy and cut down a COPPER penny... everyone knows copper is a malleable metal and won’t last 2 minutes.

Are you seriously saying the previous woodruff key was made from a penny?! When i seen the state of the heads of the Philips screws i knew someone had obviously been playing silly buggers with your ignition at some point in the past