Having problems after replacing woodruff key

Tom_H123

21 hours ago, faussy said:

Are you seriously saying the previous woodruff key was made from a penny?! When i seen the state of the heads of the Philips screws i knew someone had obviously been playing silly buggers with your ignition at some point in the past

Shouldn't matter what the woodruff key is made of, its only purpose is to locate the flywheel correctly. If the key is constantly sheering there is another issue. Timing as has been said, faulty ignition, or the taper/ flywheel is damaged. 

Pictures of the flywheel:

I think it looks okay but then again I have an untrained eye when it comes to this stuff, there’s a slight bit of damage on the taper and on one of the raised parts inside the flywheel

A0E4F7A0-BC01-4E1C-827B-6C14C57F151E.jpeg

6CCFDA1E-8BE8-432A-BE92-DB72233C9B71.jpeg

B7502EFA-AFBA-40AF-ACA8-23B680F9E0A2.jpeg

Can't see the matting surface on your photos.

With a sharpie pen, paint all conical axle surface. Put flywheel on place hold it while you spin the motor.

Paint should be removed / scrached on entirely surface showing good contact.

If not, use some abrasive paste (car popet valve grinding paste) or improvise with small sandpaper betweed both surfaces.

Turn virabrequim while hold flywheel  untill you have good contact patern.

13 hours ago, cascao said:

Can't see the matting surface on your photos.

With a sharpie pen, paint all conical axle surface. Put flywheel on place hold it while you spin the motor.

Paint should be removed / scrached on entirely surface showing good contact.

If not, use some abrasive paste (car popet valve grinding paste) or improvise with small sandpaper betweed both surfaces.

Turn virabrequim while hold flywheel  untill you have good contact patern.

It’s very lightly scratched on the inside of the flywheel, is this a good thing? Cheers

Cascoa did not mention removing the key before you try this trick, the idea is to let the two conical surfaces rub against each other and remove the ink you have put on, this shows how good the tapers are. The drive for the flywheel is through the close fitting, tightly torqued up taper. The key is there just to set the timing so your penny key should have worked.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Worth trying a new plug since they are cheap and easy. Some work out of the engine, but stop working when you install them. I've had that cause backfires with no start.

Try a timing light and see if you are getting spark at the right point.