Alternative to observed trials?

boner

I’ve decided that I really don’t enjoy competitive observed trials riding... but love riding my trials bike.

This dawned on me as I rode between sections at a competition today...

Other than observed trials competitions what riding could I do with my bike?

In the lower half of the north island in NZ we trail ride our trials bikes on harder/tighter tracks than most riders are capable of on enduro bikes. We generally carry 2 or 3 litres petrol in our packs & are gone for 6 - 8 hours

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not everyone has a competitive spirit and not everyone has a fun club to enjoy the sport with. It is amazing how many people buy trials bikes and do not compete. The biggest thrill of a trials bike is you can go about anywhere (hopefully legal areas.) It is far easier to ride hard trail on a trials bike, no matter your skill level. I had always hoped at some point I had enough time to mix my riding skills with remote camping, fishing, exploring, etc. Do what makes you have the most fun. Lucky for us we have a trials club that enjoys camping as much as riding/competing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, boner said:

That sounds good... love a bit of green laning.

Most are down south...  A lot of events have sections you don't walk, Just ride..  60 - 100 miles is normal day.  Fuel & lunch stop.   Sections are easier and most only have 1 route.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, boner said:

I’ve decided that I really don’t enjoy competitive observed trials riding... but love riding my trials bike.

This dawned on me as I rode between sections at a competition today...

Other than observed trials competitions what riding could I do with my bike?

Have you tried Time Trials?  Plenty near Somerset.

• Thanks 1

I would also say LDT's, I did the Moor to Sea recently on my little rigid James,according to my GPS speedo I did 88 miles and was riding for nearly 10 hours.Brilliant day out and lovely scenery.But you do need a reliable bike like my little James...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, splatered stu said:

seems the thing wrong with trials competition is the people,...everybody is so full of themselves these days they are hard to be around.trials is not as bad as other moto sports but in the end just the same.anytime you put 50 of these people into a crowd the usual dynamics occur.i ride by myself or with friends,you could not pay me to attend another event even as a spectator.when put in groups people kinda suck.maybe you are having an epiphany and just starting  to realize this...

That's certainly not the case with West country Pre65 / Twinshock trials, you couldn't wish for a better bunch to have a laugh with. We rode the Bath Classic trial yesterday and my score was awful,simply because we were spending so much time ribbing each other we didn't concentrate on riding the sections properly. Brilliant day out !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2019 at 9:56 PM, tony27 said:

In the lower half of the north island in NZ we trail ride our trials bikes on harder/tighter tracks than most riders are capable of on enduro bikes. We generally carry 2 or 3 litres petrol in our packs & are gone for 6 - 8 hours

Yup, same around here - more than one person has referred to trials bikes as motos for the mountains, and there's no shortage of aircooled mono era machines that still have their lights, comfy-ish seat, and a rack on the back.  Right now all our trials and dirt bikes are still in the UK, but I'm very much looking forward to getting them shipped over!

Stock-ish twinshocks generally make good green laners, I'm sure modern ones are useable too.

And also, yes not all clubs are created equal - some groups have a lot of patience for people like me who are not great riders but are enjoying themselves :)